Do you need to make your cheerleading stunts look clean either for competition or a higher score at tryouts? Here are some tips to help make your cheerleading stunt look cleaner.
1. Lock your leg(s) (base leg and pulling leg) -Make sure your legs are straight and locked out. It will give your stunt a cleaner look and will keep the stunt from moving (in regards to your base leg being locked).
2. Point your toe -Pointing your toe is one of the easiest things to do and makes a big difference. All you have to do is be conscience of it when pulling the stunt, then point your toe.
3. Head/chest up – Lifting your head and chest will make you and your stunt look confident and impressive. All you have to do is lift up with your chin and make sure you focus on something that is above parallel of your visual sight.
4. Make it solid – Do whatever you can to make your stunt solid. Any movements will take away from the stunt and possibly make it fall. If adjustments need to made, then you need to make them slight by squeezing into position.
5. Improve your flexibility -Improving your flexibility will not only allow you to execute the stunt, but it will also allow you to hit the stunt faster. If you increase your flexibility enough, then you might be able to come up with or execute entirely new stunts that no one else has seen before.
6. Watch your motion – Almost every stunt has a motion in it, but many times the flyer really does not pay attention to it because they are concentrating more on the stunt. Make sure you are hitting your motion properly by having your arm(s) straight, thumb tucked, and make sure it’s sharp.
7. Smile – A pretty smile is an easy was to finish a stunt. Especially during competition, smiling will allow you to connect with the audience and they will be more likely to cheer for you. You might have to practice in front of a mirror so that your smile looks natural.
8. Quick and sharpen -Make the stunt quick and precise. A slow stunt really makes the stunt look sloppy, and it makes it more difficult for the base to hold which could make it wobble more. In competition it’s easier to have a group of quick stunts as timing is easier to regulate.