Halloween is only 10 days away. If you haven’t bought your treats yet, now is the time. If you are looking for an alternative to the traditional sugar laden treats, here’s a list of the top 10. These are treats my kids have enjoyed finding in their plastic pumpkins. Some may seem strange to adults, but kids love them. The best part is they won’t cause a sugar high.
1. Mini Halloween activity books. My kids love these. They can be found at most retail stores and online. They usually have coloring pages, mazes, and puzzles. Most come in packs of 10 or 12 for under $5. Oriental Trading Company has a variety of activity books. Most are currently on sale.
2. “Eye” bouncing balls. These are so much fun. Not only do they bounce, but they also double as fake eyes! Parents love them because they come in bags of 4 or more for around $3. Most retail stores sale them.
3. Bags of mini pretzels. Little bags of pretzels are always good. If you feel the need to give something edible try these.
4. Glow bracelets and necklaces. These little jewels have been a kid favorite for decades. They start glowing after they are popped. These have an added safety bonus, the wearer becomes more visible. Most retail and party supply stores will sell them. Amazon has them, 100 pieces for $12.00.
5. Tattoos. This is another inexpensive treat. Kids love to wear tattoos. They came in a variety of styles. They even have some for Halloween. They can be bought in generic books. These will need to be cut apart. They can also be bought in party packs. Most retail and party supply stores will sell them.
6. Stickers/ Band-Aids. This may sound strange, stickers and band-aids in the same category. Kids see both as decoration. Stickers can be bought in books, rolls, and party packs. They come in Halloween as well as favorite characters. Band-Aids also come in favorite characters. Michael’s has Halloween motif band-aids. They come in a variety of styles, and are very cheap.
7. Plastic teeth. Every kid needs a pair of fake teeth on Halloween. They are cheap, cheesy, and oh so much fun.
8. Plastic Halloween cups. Bonus points if they glow in the dark. Kids enjoy having something that will last past the holiday. Plastic cups gives them the ability to keep a treat and use it year round. Most retail stores sell these in groups of 4 for $1.
9. Whistles. All kids like to make noise. This also has the added safety benefit.
10. The whoopee cushion. Every kid needs a whoopee cushion at least once in there life. Halloween is the perfect occasion. Think of all the fun they will have putting it in their sister’s chair.
Halloween is a fun night. We get to dress up and beg for treats. This year try a few with out sugar. You won’t lose any of the fun. Although, you may be lucky enough to miss the sugar headache.