It seems that Season 7 of NBC’s “The Office” has not been as funny as previous seasons. Maybe the cast and crew are simply running out of steam after so many years of top-notch writing and improve. Still, they seemed to pull it together for the recent episode, “Christening,” which originally aired November 4, 2010.
The episode begins with Pam (Jenna Fischer) delivering a health seminar on behalf of Sabre. After the credits, though, the show moves into the main plot: Cece’s christening. Michael (Steve Carell) invites the entire office to the church, causing Jim (John Krasinski) and Pam distress. When the pastor of the church mistakenly invites the entire congregation to the couple’s intimate reception, even more trouble starts. Jim believes Angela (Angela Kinsey) kidnaps Cece, and Michael and Andy (Ed Helms) join a church group heading to Mexico to build a school.
Quite a few funny quotes come out of this episode. They’re funny because they play into each character’s particular personality in a way that some recent episodes have neglected to do. Plus, an added bonus is the cameo of Garrison Keillor’s voice at the end of the episode. Here’s a snapshot of the top ten funniest lines from “Christening:”
10. “If Sabre really cared about our well-being, they would set up hand desanitizing stations.” – Dwight (Rainn Wilson) coming up with his solution for the illnesses in the office. Once again he highlights the fact that a little bit of information can be dangerous in the wrong hands. This is followed by a montage of his coworkers sneezing on him.
9. “I invited everyone in the office because it’s not a day just about Jim or Pam or the baby or me. It is about us all.” – Michael acknowledging that he’s the reason for all of the extra people showing up to the christening. He also shows that he doesn’t realize he’s not really a part of Jim and Pam’s family.
8. “Does the ‘Nard dog want ‘Nard pups? Yeah, I want a big old litter of ‘Nard pups all jumping around sucking on the teat.” – Andy after greeting the baby and seeing Erin (Ellie Kemper) and Gabe (Zach Lewis) sharing a moment.
7. “I really don’t even know how to say this, but Cece is turning out to be a real B-I-T-C-H.” – Michael, after finding out that he can’t be the baby’s godfather.
6. “For all their generosity and spirit, they password-protect their wireless?” – Ryan (BJ Novak) playing with gadgets instead of paying attention to the ceremony. One of a few lines in which he expresses his disdain of religion.
5. “Jesus is not your caterer.” – Angela is annoyed at Pam’s joke that they need a “loaves and fishes” miracle to feed the extra people that showed up at the reception.
4. “Want to know my elevenths commandment? I will not be undersold.” – Dwight trying to use the congregation as a way to get more sales.
3. “There is no off-season when it comes to printer sales.” – Gabe trying to get Michael off the bus to Mexico.
2. “Now we’re those lazy bums.” – Michael at this point is really regretting his decision to get on the bus to Mexico. He complains about construction workers.
1. “It is so nice to be back in a country that has movies.” – Michael rejoicing in the fact that he is no longer on the bus to Mexico, even though they never made it there.
“The Office” airs on NBC Thursdays at 9 pm ET