Your home is the place where your family and friends will meet, parties will be held, and children will be raised. By using these great interior decorating tips, you can greatly increase not only the visual appeal of your home, but you might also be able to increase the value as well!
1) Paint it! The best thing you can do for your home is to add some color and spice to the rooms. So long as you are a home-owner and not just renting, you can use whatever colors you want, but I would sugest not going to extravagent with color. Find some color schemes you like and stick with it. Most people will get tired of a hot-pink room quickly! There are a number of websites to find advice on choosing colors for your home. Your best option is to use Yahoo! Search with the keywords, “interior painting color schemes”. Another tip to consider when painting, is to make sure to avoid peeling the paint when you remove the taping around trim. Simply use a hair dryer as you peel and you can avoid a lot of hassle and damage to the fresh paint job!
2) Cover up open wall space! Open walls leave the home feeling empty and plain. Find some cheap prints or family photos to hang on your wall to cover up those blank spaces and add some personality as well as a personal touch to your house.
3) DO NOT CRAM FURNITURE! Rooms are not meant to be packed with a variety of furniture. Pick some nice pieces and arrange them in your rooms so that there is some breathing space. Quality over quantity!
4) Don’t forget the lighting! Lighting is a very important aspect of any room. The better the lighting, the more comfortable people feel in the room. Nobody wants to be in a dark, gloomy room. Brighten it up! Bring in maybe a chandelier or a few lamps to add some light to the dark regions of the room.
5) Add centerpieces and other small accessories! Those small accessories add some character to the room. Character is never a bad thing! Put out some vases or other small pieces of design to allow a more personal and homely feeling into the room.
6) Avoid excessiveness! This is a big one! Always make sure to add things to the room in moderation. Never make the room feel like a storage facility by putting too many things in one place.
7) Avoid being excessively clean! This is something that most people are guilty of. By having everything put away and hidden, it gives the appearance that the home is a museum and nothing can be touched. Leave a few small things out to let people see that somebody actually lives there! But remember, you don’t want a mess either!
8) Leave plenty of space to walk! When organizing furniture and other objects in a room, make sure to leave plenty of walking space. If it is too hard to get from one place to another, get rid of some things at your next garage sale or move them to another room!
9) AVOID STAINLESS STEEL PRODUCTS! Although some people like the look of the stainless steel appliances and other products in kitchens, there are many who feel like they are in a hospital when they are surrounded by such things! Try to buy things with color. There are plenty of products that come in a variety of colors. By adding color to the kitchen, you are adding liveliness to the most important room in the home! The kitchen is where the magic happens!
10) EXPRESS YOURSELF! This is by far the most important part of interior decorating. Make sure to express yourself in everything. This is how to make a house, truly feel like a home!