As the year 2010 nears its completion, it is that time of the year again when the top likes and dislikes of this year start popping up everywhere. Here are some of the top 20 websites of 2010 based on the number of hits and its popularity in the news and in social media
1. YouTube: YouTube is an easy way to upload short videos that can go viral in an instant. This year, so many viral videos have come up via YouTube. YouTube has become one of the world’s largest online video community allowing millions of people to upload, watch and share originally created videos. The website acts as a forum for people to connect and be informed. YouTube is based in San Bruno, CA and is a subsidiary of Google, Inc. The uploading of videos takes only few minutes and it can be shared to any person anywhere in the world via internet. There are almost no hitches on the website
2. Overstock.com: This website is one of the top online retailer in 2010 and it’s headquarters is located at Cottonwood heights, Utah near Salt Lake City. It was founded in 1997 by Robert Brazell. It is one of the pioneering websites that sell online surplus and returned merchandise and is currently expanded to sell new merchandise as well. The website initially gained popularity by word of mouth from its customers and later turned to television advertisements to gain media attention. Overstock.com also holds online auctions on its merchandises.
3. Facebook: Facebook became immensely popular as the social networking website this year that allows its users to share personal information, photos, post updates, network with groups of people and also search for long lost friends. Located in Palo Alto, CA, the founder of Facebook also gained popularity from the recent Hollywood movie Social Network. Facebook has also been in news for privacy issues and have been working to correct those. Users have ability to launch their own applications via Facebook and also have options to play games online.
4. Twitter : This website is another popular social networking website made popular especially by celebrities. Twitter lets any person to follow their favorite celebrities online where they post everything that is happening in their lives. Celebrities keep their fans updated via Twitter these days using tweets as the posts have come to be called. Launched by Jack Dorsey, Twitter is popular worldwide and currently is estimated to have more than 175 million users
5. Netflix : This website is an American corporation that provides online on demand streaming of videos as well as allows its users to rent out DVDs and blu ray discs for a fixed monthly charge or subscription. Located in Los Gatos, CA, Netflix offers a wide variety of movie selections both online and via DVDs. It is estimated that Netflix has more than 10 million subscribers
6. Myspace: MySpace.com has become one of the major lifestyle portal for connecting on and offline. It integrates a lot of features and has created a connected community. As the second ranked web domain in terms of page views, MySpace is the most widely-used site. With more than 50 million members, MySpace provides the highest quality user experience and continues to innovate with new features for users. It is located at Los Angeles, California United States
7. Yahoo: Yahoo together with its consolidated subsidiaries is a global Internet brand. The Company provides services in more than 30 languages and in more than 30 countries, regions, and territories, including localized versions of Yahoo. It is located at Sunnyvale, California United States. There are several features on Yahoo that attracts users all over the internet and has provided great services as well
8. Craigslist : Craigslist is a popular social website which lists out job openings, items for sale and almost anything for sale or need to be purchased online. The site is categorized based on locations and users can put any item for sale or request for any items online. It is an informal environment where just about anything can be bought or sold at cheap rates.
9. Wikipedia : Started in January 2001, Wikipedia is the world’s largest encyclopedia, with 2 million articles in over 120 languages. It is created entirely by volunteers who contribute, update, and revise articles in a cooperative manner. Wikipedia’s content is written for the online community, and is continually being revised for clarity, readability, and accuracy. The entire database is freely downloadable.
10. Ebay : eBay provides online place for the sale of goods and services. The company has various business segments which helps in generating the revenue. Users can bid or hold auctions on ebay on almost any item. It is located at San Jose, CA USA. In November 2008, eBay acquired Bill Me Later
11. Amazon.com : Amazon.com provides a retail website and offers programs that enables companies and users to sell products on its Websites. Amazon.com also provides services for third-party retailers, marketing and promotional services, and Web services for developers. It is located in Seattle, US
12. Google: Google is the extremely popular search engine which provides search result in seconds and relevant to the search topic. The company’s automated search technology helps people obtain nearly instant access to relevant information from its online index. Google generates revenue primarily by delivering online advertising as well in form of Adsense. Google has acquired several companies over the years thus expanding in business. It is located in Mountain View, California United States
13. MSN : Also known as Medical Staffing Network Holdings, MSN is a diversified temporary healthcare staffing company and a provider of per diem staffing services (staffing assignments of less than two weeks in duration) in the United States as measured by revenues.
14. Pogo: Pogo offers unique media opportunities across the online games to increase brand awareness and customer acquisition. Advertising can be placed across the Pogo website for rapid mass reach or in the form of in-game integration, which optimizes your target audience delivery and enhances your key messaging. From high visibility ads to rich media units, Pogo provides a broad lineup of dynamic advertising solutions and unique elements to showcase your brand and products
15. Zynga : Zynga is a very popular social network gaming site that gained instant fame this year. The most popular game Farmville has a lot of players and features several unique features which includes farming with friends, maintaining animals and many more. Founded in 2007, Zynga has offices in India and San Francisco. Users can pay for stuff using their credit cards or earn points by playing the games diligently.
16. LinkedIn : LinkedIn is a business oriented social site launched in 2003 by Jeff Weiner. It is mainly used by professionals for networking and where employers can list job openings and search for candidates and where users can follow various companies and get notified when new job openings come.
17. CNN : The news network site launched in 1995 has garnered lot of attraction over the years and is now one of the popular news websites in the world.
18. Flickr : This is a very popular online site to upload and share photos and videos. on internet. It is an online community created by Ludicorp and then acquired by Yahoo. In addition to being a popular website for sharing photographs, the service is also used by bloggers to host images that they embed in blogs and social media.
19. Toysrus : Popular toy store for kids, this website sure gets a lot of hits especially during Thanksgiving and holiday seasons. Users can search for toys on sale and also save on lot of money by getting online discounts.
20. Gmail : Part of google, the mail service website is quite light weight and has many features that can easy to use. There is the facility to use GTalk when you log in the email service. The gmail is proved to be reliable and hacker free for some time now.