It is well known that the majority of small businesses fail within the first three years of opening their doors. Today’s small business owners need to do everything within their power to combat this fact and re-invent the history of small businesses in this country. Some of the things that they can do are acquiring the needed materials that will make the job of opening and operating their business much easier and effective. I would like to introduce a few items which I believe will work for any business. In the age of computers, successful businesses need to be internet savvy and acquire the software which will go a long way in making your business run smoother. This information came to me a little too late but it will never be too late for those businesses currently operating or those that are new.
Below, I have listed the top 5 software needs for small businesses and why I know that they will work for you. As you well know the life blood of any business is keeping a close watch on your own money trail. The best software, in my opinion, for this is QuickBooks and here’s why.
• Quick set-up and saves you money by allowing you to keep track of your accounting yourself without having to hire expensive accountants in your first few years of operation.
• Allows you the ability to create invoices, set up your inventory and even track your credit cards, but one of the less promoted things about this software is it also allows you to keep track of your personal expenses as well.
• This software can handle processing payroll, preparing payroll taxes and most importantly can help with tax preparations.
As we have previously discussed regarding the life blood of any business, the software most needed is web-based online banking system now offered by many banking institutions. The beauty of this system is that it offers you a real-time view of the funds available and balances of your money. The better parts of this system are as follows;
• Encrypted system allows you to place it on one computer or laptop and not have to worry about the information being stolen
• Allows you to see exactly where your money goes because only you can authorize the money’s release
• Saves the fees charged for overdraft as well as for bounced checks.
• Can be accessed 24 hours a day/7 days per week at your convenience
• Payment can be set as recurring which means that they would go out every month at the same time without delay.
Another important software to add to your business arsenal is any that can help you keep track of applicants. I recommend Applicant Stack. While this is the first time that I had ever used it, I found this one to be extremely easy to manipulate and understand. Besides that there are four other major reasons that I love this software.
• Designed for small to mid-size businesses
• Has an online employment application
• Features email and workforce automation
In the same vain as Applicant Stack is another favorite of mine Staff File 7.0. It’s a little different than Applicant Stack because it makes keeping up with employees’ records and information oh so easy. This software is vital because it allows you to document interactions with all employees and may come in handy if you ever find yourself having to terminate them for any reason. Other features that you may enjoy are;
• One stop employee information storage place
• Protect privacy of employee information
• Quick retrieval
The final software suggestion may not be for all businesses, new or old, because all businesses may not have a use for it. For those businesses with a sales force or executives who travel on company business a lot, your best friend is ITA Software. This software can be accessed from your secretary’s computer and flights booked right there in the comfort of your office. I really like this one over the others because it was less expensive at the time I purchased and I did not need a degree in “rocket science” to figure it out. This software will allow;
• Find better flight information
• Shop and compare for less expensive flights
• Can purchase flights online