I am not one that is big on New Year’s resolutions. I never make them each year. I kinda don’t believe in them in a lot of ways. However, what I did realize was that every year I do make a promise to myself to be the best parent to my kids. So, this is perfect. Each year I usually have the following things I promise to do each year with my kids, as well as improve on year after year.
- To remember to see the world through their eyes. To keep my child like innocence , within reason, so I can always relate to them and understand where they are coming from. This includes fun and hard times. T o keep in mind how hard I thought it was too when I was little, in elementary school, junior high and high school.
- To always have fun and let the little things go. To pick the really important and battles and let the other little things go sometimes. To not get so hung up on the rules and regulations that I forget to have fun with them and enjoy my time with them.
- To appreciate each child for who they are, their unique personality and abilities. To remember that each is different and special and that I wouldn’t have it any other way. That when things are tough or they are fighting, to not get caught up in the why can’t you be more like so and so attitude. Because that is not really what I would want. To encourage their strengthens and work on their weaknesses daily.
- To remember that there is always another day, but to appreciate every day with my kids as well. That one day can be bad, but the next may be amazing. That things are always changing and will be different the next day. But, not to forget that they will only be who they are right now once, they will only be this age once. To appreciate that and even when times are tough, recognize it and find the positive in that, the learning experience or the joy in that moment.
- To always be the very best I can be in every aspect of my life and lead by example. To show them the right behaviors and manners, I must mind mine as well. To be human, but also be my best, so that they will always want to be theirs. Even when they are at school or at a friends, even when I am not around them, that I need to still be my best, even when they are not watching.