My gut reaction was to put television, cell phone, laptop, car and internet as my top five. But I realized, I should put some more thought into this assignment. For instance, what are we talking about here? What constitutes “can’t live without?” Is it something we really enjoy, like an Iphone, or something that literally our lives depend on, like a functioning heart? I think it needs to be, as is the case for most things, a happy medium. Something man-made that we use constantly, such that, if we didn’t have it, it would drastically alter our lives for the worse. And by worse I mean, time-wasting/more painful/more dangerous/etc.
Let’s revisit a couple of items from my initial list. TV is entertaining, but do I really need it to live? If my TV was destroyed, would my life be worse off for it? I would argue, no. TV, while providing some fun, is usually a huge waste of time. Not only does it keep me from doing more productive things, it fills my mind with needless information, for the most part.
Cell phones, if lost/stolen/destroyed, would definitely put a wrinkle in my daily life, especially with a smart phone. I use it from the moment I wake up (alarm clock), thru my morning commute (music, news, maybe a little photography), to breaks (email, facebook, blogging), and when I’m simply bored (games, news, etc.). But could I live without it? Would my life be terribly bad if I didn’t have a smartphone/cell phone? No, not really. I would point out, however, that cell phones for the purpose of emergency calls are crucial. So that would be on my top 5 list.
Without further ado, my top 5 technological stuff that I can’t live without.
1) Vision technology – Without glasses or contacts, people like me would not survive long.
2) Shoes – Walking barefoot on littered ground covered with bits and pieces of who-knows-what is not my idea of fun. Plus it’s dangerous. Could pick up some weird disease.
3) Lights – Tried writing by candlelight lately? Major inconvenience/fire hazard.
4) Nail clippers – Sure, I can bite off my fingernails, but what about my toenails? If they just grew out, that not only makes it harder to walk, but it can cause a lot of pain as well.
5) Cell phones – Like I mentioned above. Emergency call? Cell phone is crucial.