The store where I worked as a sales associate in downtown San Francisco was a tourist destination, big city department store and circus all rolled into one. Coming on my shift was a little like stepping onstage. My downstairs counter was the first to be engulfed by tourists when their buses stopped out front. We got the best decorations at Christmas and all the beautiful fresh flower displays during the San Francisco Flower Show.
It was also where all the shoplifters got tackled after they stepped outside the door. I will never forget the guy who stuffed 20 scarves down the front of his pants and ran past my counter. Gifts for the women in his life, I guess. Then there was the woman who walked her dog every evening, while browsing for jewelry.
As a sales associate, I got to know my store and discovered its special secrets. You can get top shopping secrets from a sales associate at your favorite store. Here’s how:
1) Looking for the special deal from the newspaper ad? We know the customer is always right, but we don’t have to go the extra mile. Ask nicely, and we’ll do everything we can to find what you came to buy.
2) Would you like your sales associate to leave you alone? Just say so – kindly. It’s our job to help customers so we ask you how we can.
3) Are you looking for something in another department? Sales associates have friends who are sales associates. Ask if they know anyone who can help get you what you need.
4) How can we help you best? Let your sales associate know what you are looking for or if need an idea for a gift. We might have just the thing, at a price you’ll love.
5) Want a good bargain that isn’t advertised? Sales associates are customers too. We are happy to share our shopping secrets about when new merchandise comes in or which departments have the best bargains.
6) Had a bad day at work? We will too if you come to the store with an attitude. We’ll both have a better day if you’re kind.
Sales associates don’t just run the cash register; we’re your ambassadors to our store. Sales associates love sharing their top shopping secrets with customers. All you have to do is ask.