A political brouhaha erupted for the Obama White House when it was reported that Michelle Obama reportedly said that life as First Lady was “hell” in a discussion with the wife of the French prime minister. However, in an unusual twist of events both the White House and French President’s wife, Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, are denying that the comment was ever made. Understandably, Mrs. Obama may be bored with her First Lady duties as she is a lawyer who held many high powered jobs in city government in Chicago. Nonetheless, there are many reasons why Michelle Obama’s life as First Lady could be difficult, and even trying at times. Ten of these reasons are listed below.
1. Apart from automatically becoming the head of the Red Cross, the president of the Parks service, and officially the Grand Commodore in charge of the U.S. Navy, there sometimes isn’t much for the First Lady to do.
2. Supervising the construction and maintenance of the White House vegetable garden isn’t all that it is cracked up to be. Especially since Hillary Clinton keeps poaching fresh vegetables.
3. Making sure that Vice President Joe Biden stays out of trouble, and doesn’t embarrass the White House, has reportedly become a very tedious job.
4. She still hasn’t found Abraham Lincoln’s secret pantry believed to be located somewhere on the White House grounds and which may contain thousands of jars of canned jelly and yams, in addition to a copy of a secret amendment added to the Constitution.
5. She knows that she could be doing a much better job at the State Department than Hillary Clinton.
6. It is hard to go to the gym, or even meet with friends at the bookstore when you’ve got two dozen Secret Service agents in tow.
7. When the press criticizes, and details, everything you wear every single day of the week, picking out a wardrobe takes on a new importance which reportedly wastes hours of Mrs. Obama free time each week.
8. The fact that the White House kitchen, run by the Air Force, can provide Pres. Obama was just about any type of pie he wants at any time of the day means that she has to figure out new ways of hiding the pies. Over the past year and a half, Michele Obama has tried hiding pies underneath the couches in the Oval Office or putting them behind books in the White House library.
9. Though the First Lady has the constitutional power to declare pretty much any land within the United States a national park, she is reportedly upset that Pres. Obama won’t let her turn half of Texas into a wildlife refuge.
10. Part of the job of First Lady requires Michelle Obama to translate sensitive meetings between the president and leaders of foreign countries. So far she has had to learn French, Spanish, German, Russian, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese and Polish to function in this role. Reportedly, White House staffers speaking on the condition of anonymity has said that the First Lady is upset that now she dreams in Russian and German.
For the Top Ten Unusual Uses of Lego Blocks click here.