A nutrition professor at Kansas State University was able to lose 27 pounds in two months by eating a diet which was low in calories, but 2/3 of which consisted of sugary foods like Twinkies, in an effort to show that your total caloric intake plays a big role in weight loss. However, are Twinkies really food? Ten surprising facts about Twinkies are listed below.
1. Twinkies can survived for 47 years if left unopened in a dark cool place, yet only 35 years if opened.
2. Twinkies were invented by NASA as a food which packs a lot of calories, but which could in theory survive sudden decompression and exposure to high temperatures if accidentally left outside the spaceship.
3. The musicians Prince ate nothing but Red Vines, Twinkies, bananas and Gatorade for a month and he later experienced a strange “Twinkie psychosis” which caused him to temporarily change his name to a symbol.
4. The last meal that both Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley ate before dying was a bowel of cut-up Twinkies covered in maple syrup, cashews and peanut butter.
5. Twinkies can be deadly weapons if frozen and thrown off of the Empire State building due to their perfect aerodynamic qualities which allows them to achieve free fall speeds in excess of the speed of sound.
6. The Twinkie was invented by a former death row prisoner, who incidentally founded the street gang “Muy Dulce”, as a desert which can be hidden in a body cavity and eaten months after it was baked.
7. A crate of 200 Twinkies, delivered to Smith elementary in 1988, was believed to have been responsible for a riot involving 24 kindergarteners who tore down chain linked fences and turned over police cars while high on sugar.
8. Though supposedly Twinkies are non-toxic, half of a Twinkie is enough to kill a cat.
9. Coating a Twinkie with toothpaste and baking soda produces an explosive more powerful than TNT.
10. Dried out Twinkies are often used to polish diamonds.
For the Top Ten 2010 Republican Campaign Slogans click here.