A recent poll discovered that approximately one in five Americans believes that President Obama is a Muslim. Many political pundits don’t know what is worse, the attention that the poll is receiving or the lack of knowledge people have about the leader of the free world. It is also been found in another poll that one in four Americans doesn’t know that the country declared its independence from Britain in 1776. Listed below are ten other surprising misconceptions that Americans have.
1. One in four Americans believes that the moon landing was faked with film footage of astronauts inside a classified movie set in Nevada. This is of course false, however, it is true and not widely known that an alien space recovered in Ohio was used to help “pull” the space capsule to the moon and can be seen hovering in the background in some NASA footage.
2. One in six Americans believes that Joe Biden has a medical condition which causes him to make inappropriate comments or “gaffes” at inopportune moments. While one in seven Americans does not know who the vice president is and believes that Joe Biden runs the New York Yankees.
3. One in twenty Americans believe that you don’t need to pay taxes to Uncle Sam if you declare your property your own “personal country” and elect yourself president of said country.
4. One in eight Americans believes that the “Tea Party” is a consortium of lobbyists for the beverage producers of America, and that they also enjoy recreating Revolutionary War battles at political demonstrations for no apparent reason.
5. One in five Americans believes that the existence, and location, of Big Foot is being covered up by a Congressional committee chaired by Nancy Pelosi. Of the people who believe in this conspiracy, one in ten believes that Nancy Pelosi is not an American citizen, but really a politician from Canada living in exile in the United States.
6. One in eleven Americans believes that Ronald McDonald is a creepy looking clown who is probably a serial killer.
7. One in fifty Americans has tickets for Michael Jackson’s “This is It” concert and expect to be able to see him perform in the near future.
8. One in eight Americans believe that the unhealthy food ingredient “trans fats” is really a high speed train being built in New Orleans which will pass close by the home of Fats Domino.
9. One in ten Americans believes that “Bo the White House dog” is really named “Mr. Tiddlywinks”.
10. One in five Americans believes that the BP oil spill was faked in order to provide a cover story for the discovery of the lost continent of Atlantis in the Gulf of Mexico.
For the top ten effects of the mysterious, and not completely explained, moon shrinkage, click here.