It was recently reported that comedian Jon Stewart was, “saddened”, the Pres. Obama has not done more to change the way government runs in Washington. While he does not regret that he voted for Pres. Obama in the 2008 presidential election, he says that perhaps expectations were too high. Stewart lamented the fact that despite Obama’s campaign of “change you can believe in”, much of the same system and same people still in place in the federal government. however, Stewart would be surprised to know that Pres. Obama has made a number of sweeping changes behind the scenes. Ten of them are listed below.
1. Via a secret presidential executive order issued on the day after he took office, Pres. Obama changed the color of the park services uniforms from a “khaki green color” to a hunter’s green which more accurately reflects the vibrancy of the nation’s parks.
2. Pres. Obama reinstated a cherished White House tradition in which every morning he eats a slice of pie while the vice president dances a jig with the White House dog. Not since the presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt has this traditional, “breakfast dance”, been performed in the White House’s parlor.
3. The United States Treasury stopped printing two dollar bills, saving millions of tree from being cut down each second.
4. A national holiday dedicated to the appreciation, and understanding of cats–National Cat Appreciation Day–was instituted by Pres. Obama via an executive order signed by him.
5. The Supreme Court was whittled down to just three judges which Pres. Obama had determined, through a lengthy reality television show process, worthy as being judges who are “most supreme of them all.”
6. President Obama ordered that a new healthy option be added to McDonald’s super value meal and that it would be called the “Obama burger”, which is made by placing a grilled and perfectly seasoned tofu vegetarian hamburger patty between two sesame whole wheat buns and slathered with a generous serving of Dijon mustard and sprinkled with garlic and black peppers and topped with a smoke portobello mushroom.
7. NASA was instructed by Pres. Obama to immediately locate Halley’s comet which has been missing for over 50 years and was due to swing by Earth a couple months ago–when it didn’t show up. Presently, they’re worried that the comet has been taken hostage by Martians who are thought to be hiding in the asteroid belt.
8. As part of the economic stimulus package, President Obama allocated $50 million dollars to study the natural habitat of the North American Leprechaun. Though several of the fiesty critters were tagged with radio collars, not of them would tell where they hid a giant pot of gold which could have helped pull the country out of the recession.
9. President Obama removed a special amendment added to the Constitution by then vice president Dick Cheney which gives the VP the power to declare wars and national emergencies if the President is asleep.
10. Though the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have continued on the course set by President Bush, President Obama did send an email to the troops to let them know that he would be “reviewing the situation on the ground” semi-annually to see if any changes need to be made.
For the Top Ten Planned Uses of White Space click here.