Auckland is situated in the upper part of the North Island of New Zealand and is the largest city in New Zealand. With a population of approximately 1.4 million, it is home to about one third of the people living in New Zealand.
Top Tourist Attractions in Auckland
Auckland has much to offer tourists and some of the more popular attractions include the following:
• The Sky Tower in central Auckland is the tallest tower in the Southern Hemisphere. It offers 360 degree views of the area and has a section of glass flooring for the brave to stand on
• Tourists can climb over the top of the Auckland Harbor Bridge on a guided tour
• The Auckland Explorer Bus offers a day pass for travel and stops at the “Big 14” attractions in Auckland
• Rainbow’s End is a world class theme park with rides, entertainment and fun for the whole family
• Auckland Museum offers daily Maori cultural performances
• Auckland Zoo is home to some of the world’s most beautiful and endangered animals
• Kelly Tarlton’s Antarctic Encounter Underwater World is an aquarium that focuses on life from the Pacific and southern oceans
• Snowplanet is an indoor winter world that offers snowboarding, skiing and real snow all year round
• Various companies offer harbor cruises and whale and dolphin sighting trips
• There are a number of islands in the Auckland region including Waiheke, Rangitoto and Great Barrier Island. These are accessible by ferry and offer much in the way of unspoilt beauty and relaxation
• Auckland Botanic Gardens stretch over 65 hectares and include beautiful plant collections, native forest and lakes
• Butterfly Creek offers a tropical butterfly house and an insect house as well as viewings of saltwater crocodiles
Where to Shop in Auckland
Like most large cities, Auckland is home to many large malls as well as specialist boutiques and markets. Queens Street is the main shopping area in the central city and runs from the upper city down to the waterfront. It is lined with fascinating shops, arcades and side streets.
Victoria Park Market is an eclectic indoor market with arts and crafts, curios, souvenirs, designer clothing and jewelry on offer.
Other top shopping areas include Parnell, K’Road and Newmarket. Large malls can be found at Sylvia Park and Manukau City.
Auckland is a popular tourist center and is ideally placed for travel to other parts of New Zealand. From theme parks and endless shopping, to zoos and the natural beauty of the islands, there is something for everyone. Many tourists use Auckland as a base for day trips and find they can spend several weeks exploring the city and surrounding areas.