Every March in Macon, Georgia, the annual Cherry Blossom Festival provides an opportunity for visitors from around the world to see the blooming of cherry blossoms. The city of Macon has become world renowed for its cherry blossoms.
Macon is not the size of Atlanta. However, this town has approximately 100,000 people and is also a growing city as well.
The Cherry Blossom drevives from the Yoshino cherry tree.At the time, it was rare in the South. These types of trees bloom primarily in mid to late March, and the blooms last for a few weeks and begin to wilt away within a month as temperatures begin to rise in April. However, the sight of pink, red and blue cherry blossoms has become a part of Macon. The trees are virtually everywhere. If one drives west on Eisenhower Parkway going toward Crawford County on U.S., one can’t miss the cherry blossoms planted along the median.
The idea of the Cherry Blossom Festival came from Carolyn Crayton. Her idea flourish into a very successful annual event that boosted Macon’s tourism industry and brought sence of pride to the city of Macon.
The following are the Top 5 favorite things about the Macon Cherry Blossom Festival
1. Mulberry Street Arts and Crafts Festival is a part of the Cherry Blossom Festival and I had witnessed seeing a variety of vendors displaying many types of arts and crafts. The local Middle Georgia Art Association had been the main sponsor.
2. Another fun thing to do was to attend the Pink Pancake Breakfast at Central City Park. I had never had pink pancakes, but it was definitely a unique experience. In 2010, I recall that the money raised had gone to the American Cancer Society which is a very worthy cause. The local fire deparrtent had sponsored the event..
3. International Food Fair is another event that gave visitors a chance to experience different foods from around the world. I believe this was also part of the Mulberry Street Arts and Crafts Festival.
4. Cherry Blossom Festival folks provide carriage rides. Now, they aren’t free. However, it is a reasonable price. For visitors, it provides an opportunities to see the beautiful cherry blossom trees in downtown Macon and some of the local landmarks.
5. The final thing is the Street Party which is usually at the end of the Cherry Blossom Festival. Last year one of the groups was the Atlanta Rhythm Section along with “Bo” Ponder . There were different types of music for everybody. I enjoyed the event very much.