The holidays can be a time of endless noshing on sweets and other foods. To help sidestep the weight gain that come with this all you need to do is turn on your weight loss hormone, leptin. Leptin can shut down your appetite and end cravings, plus it helps your body burn fat faster.
1. Boost leptin absorption by 80% by getting enough sleep. Being well rested boosts your brain’s ability to absorb and use leptin. Be sure you are getting the recommended eight hours of shut-eye every night.
2. Make use of zinc-rich foods. This essential mineral increases the body’s production of leptin by as much as 142%. Try to get at least 15 mg of zinc daily. Good sources of zinc include pine nuts, shellfish and bran cereal.
3. Skip low-fat foods. Low-fat foods are often packed with high fructose corn syrup to improve the flavor and texture. This sabotages your brains ability to recognize leptin and makes it much easier to overeat.
4. Have a glass of wine. Those who sip a glass of wine daily have 7% more leptin in their bloodstreams than those who don’t.
5. Take a supplement. If you are lacking in vitamin D, like 80% of the population, leptin is unable to signal your brain to stop eating. Simply taking 1,000 IU of vitamin D daily should do the trick.