The big scare last year was the N1H1 (Swine Flu) virus. Prevention tactics began almost 9 months before the flu season arrived. This year, there hasn’t been much discussion about the future flu season. However, vaccines are now being given for both virus’s in one simple vaccine. This article gives some common sense suggestions for avoiding the flu. The bottom line is that you must practice most of these habits religiously.
1. Wash your hands. Do this often. Virus’s can be carried on money, hand tools, coffee pot handles. Anything your hands come in contact with is capable of carrying the germs.
2. Avoid sick people. If you are sick, stay home and away from others. If friends and family are sick, give them a temporary cold shoulder. Keep your distance.
3. Don’t touch your face or others faces. Kleenex and handkerchiefs will not remove all germs.
4. Use sanitizers. Every opportunity that you can use it for your hands, do so. These are great for fighting germs.
5. Eat a balanced diet. Hot food is better than cold because high heat kills germs. a good diet also builds up your body resistance to illness.
6. Drink lots of liquids. This keeps your system flushed. Hydration also helps in building body resistance. Juices (Vitamin C), tea and extra water help.
7. Keep your body warm. A cold body increases the chance of the flu. This is because cold lowers body resistance to colds. You are better off being too warm than too cold.
8. Get lots of rest. During the flu season, try getting an extra hour of sleep at night. also, try to take a brief power nap during the day.
9. Exercise your body. Staying in shape helps prevent flu infection. Conditioning builds up body resistance to disease.
10. Avoid cold drafts. If you are in a cold part of the room, move to another warmer location.
11. Use an extra blanket. It doesn’t matter if you take a nap or go to bed at night, an extra blanket provides warmth for the body.
12. Take the right vitamins. Vitamins can do wonders for fighting the flu bug.
Finally there is the flu vaccine. You can get this for a small fee at Walgreen’s, Walmart, clinics, doctors office and even grocery stores. The small prick or nasal spray can do wonders for you in stopping the flu in its tracks.
You can out smart the flu and increase your chances of remaining healthy, by following the suggestions above.