Ohhhhh, it was a painful week for fantasy football managers. Ryan Grant is done for the season, our starters are getting 18 yards rushing (Shonn Greene) or sitting (Beanie Wells), and to top it all off Houston finally beat the Colts! It was a crazy way to start the season and yet a very fun way to start the season. On the plus side Arian Foster made a few owners happy (and justifying the early 3rd and 4th round picks). Chris Johnson didn’t miss a beat and Jahvid Best ran for two scores.
Overall it was just another week in the NFL. But the important thing as we line up our week 2 players is that we actually have some hard data to go on for our moves. Sure it’s only one game but it is about as accurate as looking at last year’s stats. Bye weeks are still a few weeks away so we need to make changes based on hunches and week 1 stats rather than out of necessity.
And in case you are wondering how I did last week…
3-11 in ESPN Leagues and as miserable in my Fanball Leagues…
Now that you are impressed with my ability to make sound picks I give you the 2010 week 2 fantasy football RB keepers and sleepers:
1) Ryan Mathews – This guy was beating himself up for his poor performance (19 carries for 75 yards and no scores). I’m just happy that he cares enough to critique his own performance. I think we really get to see what Ryan Mathews can do as he battles it out with fantasy football favorite MJD. No touchdowns in the first game and I think we should see a couple in this game. My guess is over 100 yards rushing with 2 TDs and one play that makes you as happy as Arian Foster owners last week.
2) Ahmad Bradshaw – Brandon Jacobs is pissed. Too bad, I saw him get stuffed at the goal line and Ahmad Bradshaw navigates his way through to pay dirt later in the series. Jacobs needs to find a groove and until he does I think Bradshaw is going to take full advantage of his opportunity. And if you haven’t noticed he’s toting the rock against the mighty Indy rush defense whose been having trouble stopping the tackling dummies at practice. 200 yards? Probably not but we should see over 100 and a score.
3) Ray Rice – The ONLY good thing about the Jets is the defense. And Rice struggled and McGahee the vulture swooped in to grab a TD. As long as Ray Lewis is alive the Ravens will be competitive. The Bengals are looking to get some revenge after getting embarrassed against the Patriots. Well they are just going to have to wait until week 3 because Rice is going for over 100 yards and he will get a long score. Bengals are in trouble and the Ravens are going to prove it.
4) Adrian Peterson – Just because ADP didn’t get monster numbers doesn’t mean he wasn’t a good 1st or 2nd round pick. Peterson still averaged a very respectable 4.6 ypc and if you watched the game you got the feeling he was just about to shift gears and break out. I though Childress was an idiot for not using the number 1 running back in the league a little more in the second half. I’m pretty sure Childress has a man-crush on Brett Favre complete with posters on the wall and #4 pajamas. BUT the Dolphins almost lost to the Bills and the Vikings are going to crush them. ADP will run for about 150 and site the last 4-5 minutes of the 4th quarter. 2 TDs.
5) Shonn Greene – OK I don’t like the Jets but Rex Ryan makes me laugh. However, fantasy football isn’t about who we like and who we don’t (Ben Rothlisberger). Facts are facts. Mark Sanchez sucks (fact 1). NYJ’s will realize they won games by running the ball last year (fact 2). Rex Ryan is actually a good coach (fact 3). Combine these facts and you’ll see Shonn Greene and LT bringing the ground and pound to the New Meadowlands. I’m not saying they win the game but I see both Greene and LT doing decent while Mark Sanchez continues being one of the best mediocre QBs in the NFL.
1. Brandon Jackson – In the obvious section we have the pickup of the week and he’s probably gone in about 90% of the leagues. If not then you need to grab him and consider playing him in the flex spot. Green Bay hosts Buffalo and this game should get out of hand quick which would require some running to kill the clock. Green Bay blows Buffalo out of the water and Jackson hits triple digits with a TD or two.
2. Tim Hightower – Word on the street is Beanie Wells will not play this week. That being said even if he does manage to suit up I think Hightower goes off here. He had a game to forget last week but this week he should redeem himself as a good receiver and a decent RB. Atlanta will be tough but Arizona is a much more balanced team and will have to get the running game going in order to be competitive. Either that or rely on Derek Anderson’s arm to win the game… cricket cricket.
3. LaDainian Tomlinson – Read Shonn Greene above except this is LT and he doesn’t have major fumbling problem. In all seriousness LT looked pretty good, so good that I would say he is the best player on the offense as of right now. Rex Ryan is going to need something to get his team going, I mean he could always wait for Mark Sanchez to breakout… cricket cricket… anyways LT does better than Greene two games in a row.
4. Michael Bush – Darren McFadden is finally living up to his potential and Al Davis is high fiving everyone in sight. That ends this week when Michael Bush justifies his summer long sleeper status against the incompetent St. Louis team. I know Oakland got killed but I’m pretty sure they are not that bad. And I’m more than sure that Michael Bush will re-energize this team for its first win of the season. Over a hundred yards with a score.
5. CJ Spiller – And Trent Edwards throws a bomb into the endzone for Lee Evans and the Bills win the game! The Bills win the game… Yeah no, you won’t be hearing that. CJ Spiller separates himself from the motley crew in the backfield and gives everyone a little taste of what’s to come. In fact he’s so electric that Marshawn Lynch is traded next week to the Green Bay packers for a 4th round pick. Now if you read my Brandon Jackson prediction above you’ll notice a little disparity and ask yourself about the above mentioned blow out. Yep it still happens but the Bills still got to run. At least Buffalo has the Sabers.
Well that’s it. Week 2 locks and you better get moving. Feel free to visit www.babybluemonkey.com. Leave me a comment or just say hi on my twitter account @babybluemonkey. Good luck for week 2 and we’ll have the picks down to a science by week 4 (byes).