It probably has happened to you. You wake up in the morning ready for a big breakfast….eggs, bacon, toast with jelly, coffee and maybe a few berries to make it healthy! So off to the fridge, but what – where did all of the eggs go? Oh, you forgot about that angel food cake you made yesterday. Now there is only one lonely egg in the carton. No problem, you can still have a delicious and satisfying mini-scrambler with leftovers for breakfast using just one egg.
I am not a big egg eater. I usually buy mine by the ½ dozen so they don’t expire before I have a reason to use them. This recipe has become a standard for breakfast when we only have one egg. I call it my mini-scrambler with leftovers. You will just call it ‘good‘.
Mini-scrambler with leftovers
* One egg
* Leftovers, whatever you have on hand: ham, chicken, turkey, shrimp, roast beef or fish
* A small amount of onion, scallions, and/or bell pepper
* One or two mushrooms
* 1/3 cup of grated cheese
* One Tablespoon water
* salt and pepper to taste
Prep and Cook:
* Dice the veggies and sauté them in a small amount of butter for a short time to soften them
* Dice the leftovers, add to the pan and heat thoroughly for about a minute
* Crack the egg into a small bowl and beat it
* Add the water to the egg mixture to thin it a bit
* Add the egg mixture to the pan
* Add the grated cheese into the mixture
* Cook the egg mixture on low heat as you normally would cook scrambled eggs
* Stir so it doesn’t stick or burn
* When the eggs are set, the mini-scrambler with leftovers is cooked
* Serve with toast and jelly. Use whatever bread and jelly you have on hand
* Add a few slices of fresh fruit
* Don’t forget the juice and a big cup of steaming coffee or tea
This mini-scrambler with leftovers is more than enough for two people, as it is very filling. When you only have one egg in the fridge, don’t fret, make a mini-scrambler with leftovers and enjoy!