If you are watching your budget like the rest of us, traditional Halloween makeup kits are something that most of us probably can’t afford right now. But, just because Halloween makeup kits aren’t cheap doesn’t mean that we have to give up on dressing up for a night of trick or treating. By shopping the sales and hitting both discount stores and dollar stores, it’s possible to find a great selection of cheap makeup that will work nicely for creating fun Halloween faces on your kids.
Here’s where to look and what to look for:
Discount drugstores are the places to find steeply discounted black lipsticks and black fingernail polish. Discount drugstores like Walgreens, Shopko, and Rite Aid are pricing their Halloween makeup to move at the cheap price of $1 or less. Black lipstick is not only a great way to blacken the lips, but it also works for drawing in mustaches, heavy eyebrows, and icky warts.
Dollar stores such as Dollar Tree carry a great assortment of cheap makeup that’s perfect for Halloween face painting. I avoid the off brands and search for trusted lines instead such as Cover Girl, NYC, e.l.f., Maybelline and Revlon. Cheap makeup to buy for Halloween face decorating at dollar stores might include:
* 12-16 color NYC eye shadow palette in dark colors. The darker colors can be used to darken the eye sockets, create bruises, dirty the face, thicken eyebrows, or to draw a nose or whiskers.
* Red lipstick is another great makeup for creating dramatic Halloween faces. We use red lipstick for lips, as face rouge or to create scars or blood. Cheap light pink or light orange lipsticks can be used around the eyes for a Halloween zombie look.
* Brown or black pencil eyeliner or dark lip pencil. Lip pencils are a great way to draw in delicate features such as stitches, wrinkle lines, animal whiskers or sparse beards.
* Light face powder or liquid foundation. Light foundation can hide freckles, neutralize a lip color so that a new spooky one can be drawn instead, and can lighten a tanned face to appear more ghoulish.
* Cream eye shadows are another great makeup that can be used to create bruises or lighten a face. The best creamy eyeshadow colors to use for Halloween faces are blues, purple, green, and white
The dollar store is also the place to find cheap hair extensions, spooky Halloween jewelry, and cheap Halloween accessories.
Thrift stores. While I would never buy used makeup, I have noticed that many area thrift stores stock cheap but new Halloween makeup kits or individual theatrical makeup pots. One of my favorite thrifts was selling creamy eye shadows and lip for 10 cents a container…what a bargain! When shopping for cheap Halloween makeup kits, avoid the costume shops and hit the thrift stores instead for possibly the best theatrical makeup deals in town.
With careful shopping, you should be able to assemble a dandy Halloween makeup kit for the kids for $5 or less. At these prices, Mom and Dad can afford to dress up for Halloween as well.