1. Listening to the kids asking over and over, “Are we there yet?” Kids do not like to be stuck in a car for a long time. They will get really restless and beg to know how much further until you arrive at your destination. Keep them busy with books, games, or movies to help this part not be quite as bad.
2. Getting up when someone else is ready to start the day. My family likes to sleep in and stay up late. When you go on vacation with the family, we end up getting up earlier than we would like to and we just have to deal with this part of the trip.
3. Fitting everyone’s plans into your day can be hard. You don’t want to miss out on shopping, but someone else really wants to go to the museum. You have to find a way to make everyone as happy as possible and might have to miss out on something you want to do.
4. Arguing and drama is bound to happen. When you put a large group of people together, there is going to end up being some drama. Someone will get mad about something and this will cause a disagreement. Hopefully it will be something that can be solved easily.
5. Figuring out where to eat every day. You hate Mexican food, but other family members love it. You really want Chinese, but no one will agree to it. You will probably miss out on some great food just to make someone else happy.
6. Getting stuck with all of the kids. If you have children, other family members might think you are the built in baby sitter. They will run off to a casino or large ride that the kids can’t go on leaving you behind to watch all of the kids. If this happens to you, just make sure they return the favor later.
7. Following someone else as they drive very slowly or the wrong way. If you are not leading the pack, you can end up behind a family member who doesn’t drive the speed limit or gets totally lost. You in turn will be lost right along with them.
8. Being expected by someone to spend more than you have budgeted for the trip. Some people do not realize we can’t all afford to eat steak every single night or go to the ballet. Be strong and explain that you have a limit on what you can spend.
9. Sleeping at a hotel you would have never chosen on your own. This could be one that is way more than you planned to spend or that is a bit on the scary side. We don’t all have the same beliefs in what is a nice hotel and you could end up somewhere you are not comfortable if you let someone else do the booking for you.
10. Never wanting a vacation again! If you have a bad experience, you might consider never going on vacation again. Just remember this was a one time trip and the next time you can go on your own or lay down the rules before you agree to go with your family.