Yoga has been a popular form of exercise for many years. It is a healthy way to not only stay in shape, but to relax as well. This can be great for relieving tension and stress.
One popular yoga exercise is the 12-step salute to the sun exercise. This exercise can be done once or twice in the morning to relieve stiffness and give energy to the body. Doing this exercise at night can help one to relax before bedtime (if done six to twelve times, it can even help insomniacs fall asleep).
Here are the steps you need to try this yoga exercise: 12-step salute to the sun. If you have never done this exercise before, then it may be best to read through all of the steps atleast once before actually trying it for yourself.
1. Stand up with your feel slightly apart. Place your palms together and your thumbs against your chest.
2. Deeply inhale as you slowly raise your hands over your head. Bend back as far as possibly and tighten your buttocks. Hold this for three seconds.
3. Slowly exhale and bend forward, keeping your knees straight. Bend forward until your fingers touch the floor outside of your feet, or as close as you possibly can. Then, bring your head in towards your knees.
4. Inhale slowly and bend your knees. If your fingertips are not touching the floor on the outside of your feet, then place them there. Now, slide your right foot back as far as you can go, with your right knee about an inch off of the floor. Arch your back and look up as high as possible.
5. Before you exhale again, slide your left foot back until it is beside your right foot. Support your weight on your palms and toes. Straighten both of your legs out so that your body will form a flat plane, with your stomach pulled in.
6. Exhale slowly, bend both of your knees to the floor, and bend your hips in the air. Then lower your chest and forehead to the floor.
7. Inhale slowly and look up. As you do this, bend your head back, then raise it, and follow this by your upper chest. Then lower your chest. Your body from the navel down should now be on the floor and your elbows should be bent slightly. Hold this for three to five seconds.
8. Slowly exhale and raise your hips. Raise your hips until your feet and palms are flat on the floor, and your arms and legs are in a straight inverted V position.
9. Slowly inhale and bring your right foot forward. Your foot should be flat on the floor, between your fingertips. Your left leg should be just about straight behind you, and your knee should be slightly off of the floor. Now raise your head and look up, arching your back.
10. Slowly exhale and bring your left foot forward until it is next to your right foot. Then, straighten out your legs and stand, as you try to keep your fingertips on the floor. While trying to keep your fingertips on the floor, try to touch your head to your knees.
11. Inhale slowly, raise up your arms, and stretch back. Tighten your buttocks and hold it for three seconds.
12. Slowly exhale and lower your arms down to your sides. Now relax. Repeat these steps as needed.
There you go, the yoga exercise: 12-step salute to the sun. Do this yoga exercise in the morning or at night, or just when you feel the need to relax.
This exercise with yoga can help you to relax, fill your body with energy, or sleep. Hench the reason why this is a good yoga exercise to at anytime during the day.