Do you remember the cubicle movie classic, Office Space? With Milton and the red stapler, the Bobs, and the jump-to-conclusions mat? (One of my friends missed the patent on that one.)
How would you like to celebrate the bureaucratic cubicle nonsense found in Office Space without purchasing a cheap costume that a thousand other people have? Do you want a fantastically unique Halloween costume that is easy to make, requires no sewing, and will make you the hit of any Halloween costume contest or friendly get-together?
Go take a look at the Office Space DVD cover. You’re going to be that guy. No, not Milton. For Halloween this year, you’re going to be the Post-It Note guy from Office Space.
What You’ll Need for Your Office Space Halloween Costume:
– “Business professional” attire to be worn under the sticky notes (suggested: khaki pants, white shirt, red tie)
– Light-weight ski mask with holes for eyes, nose, and mouth
– Black glasses with or without lenses (Cheap plastic glasses can be found at a Halloween costume shop.)
– 2 rolls of clear tape (Tape is less messy than glue and has a stronger, flexible hold. Use something that will adhere to clothes and blend in (matte) with your costume.)
– 7 pads of 3×3 yellow sticky notes (Use something with a strong adhesive, even if they are not Post-It brand notes. I bought a 12-pack at Costco.com because they were cheaper than buying individual pads at an office supply store.)
How You’ll Put Together Your Office Space Halloween Costume:
The instructions below will be for you to make the Halloween costume without assistance. If you have help, one person can wear the costume while the other person affixes the sticky notes.
1. Lay out the clothes you will be wearing. Make a note about where your shirt will be tucked into your pants, since you do not need to add sticky notes in those unseen areas.
2. Gather your tape and sticky notes. For each sticky note, you will need one piece of tape that is 2-3 inches long and another piece of tape that is 4 inches long. For speed in assembling your Halloween costume, you can cut all of the tape pieces early and have them ready to apply when you need them.
3. To create your Office Space Halloween costume, you will start at the bottom and work your way up. This method will form an even layer of sticky notes to cover the dress clothes underneath.
4. You can choose to put your sticky notes on left-to-right or right-to-left. For whichever direction you choose, I suggest continuing in the same direction so that the costume is covered uniformly.
5. Affix one sticky note to the bottom of the pants leg, with the sticky portion on top. Leave 1/2 – 1 inch of overlap over the bottom of the pants leg.
6. Use one of your smaller 2-inch pieces of tape to secure the sticky note, with approximately 1/2 – 1 inch of the tape on the sticky note and the rest on the clothing. The best place to put the tape is on the middle top of the sticky note.
7. Use one of your larger 4-inch pieces of tape to make a T across the smaller piece of tape. You are essentially double-taping for better stability. You will need the additional stability after you start to move around in your costume. Feel free to add more tape to areas where you will be bending or moving a lot, such as knees and elbows.)
8. Congratulations! You have added the first sticky note to your excellent Office Space Halloween costume!
9. Take your next sticky note and overlap the previous sticky note. A suggested overlap is 1/2-inch. With too much overlap, you are wasting sticky notes. With too little overlap, your clothing is likely to peek out from under the sticky notes. For the best appearance, the sticky notes should be staggered (imagine shingles on a house – up, down, up down – _ – _ – _) instead even (like a straight line of tile on a wall _ _ _ _ _).
10. Continue around the clothing in the direction you have chosen. When you create a new row, stagger the stick notes so that you are not accidentally creating sticky note line stripes up your costume.
11. Continue the process for the ski mask. Make sure you either strategically place the sticky notes or cut them off so you can still see and breathe!
12. After you have affixed your initial layer of sticky notes and the underlying clothing cannot be seen, you are ready to add your “flair” sticky notes. Write messages on several sticky notes with different colors. (I used a combination of quotes from the Office Space movie, shopping lists, traditional sticky note notations, and Happy Halloween messages to the friends who would be checking me out.)
13. Add your tie and glasses, and that’s it! Place your Office Space Halloween costume in a safe place until you are ready to wear it. Be ready to be laughed at-in a good way.
Additional Suggestions for Your Office Space Halloween Costume:
If you will be wearing the costume for a long period, bring some replacement sticky notes and tape with you. No matter how well you adhered the sticky notes, some are bound to fall off or become crumpled.
Purchase a lightweight ski mask so that you can breathe easily for several hours without overheating.
Do not drive or rob banks while wearing the ski mask.
Stay away from open flames, water sprinklers, and paper shredders.
Reuse or recycle the sticky notes after you are finished with the costume.
I want to give a special thanks to Stefan Gronsky and Eric Heien for showing me that this costume truly is possible. To see photos of the completed costume, click here: Office Space Post-It Note Costume