Any parent has had that feeling of getting so frustrated, that they just have to walk outside or into another room to get some air. Some parents, take that frustration out by spanking their child. From experience, spanking does nothing but make the situation worse. Here are some tips on how to discipline your child without spanking them.
Before anything, the first thing you need to do as a parent is stay calm. The more irrational you are, the less the child is going to listen and learn from their mistakes. Before punishing your child, take a deep breath, think about what he/she has done, and rationalize.
1. Giving them a 30 minute time out. Seems a bit lengthy, however there is nothing worse to a child who has to sit still and do nothing for a whole 30 minutes. This is a lifetime for them. Besides making them sit there, it allows them to think about what they have done. As well as thinking about ever doing it again.
2. No television, video games or computer for the day. Kids today are hooked on the anything that has to do with electronics. Take it away, just for one day and you will see that your child will not misbehave as often as they usually do. Be sure to explain why you are doing this. Anytime you punish your child, always explain why.
3. Put them to bed an hour before their normal time. Just like sitting still, putting a child to bed is the end of the world to them. If there is a television in their room, make sure it is turned off. Let them know that you are putting them to bed early for what they have done. The next time they think of misbehaving, the will remember the consequences.
4. Give them extra chores around the house. Even if they receive an allowance for doing their chores, no one likes to do them. Give them a few extra chores that will allow them to understand that they did wrong.
5. Stop their allowance for the week. Kids want money for the same reason adults do. To buy things they like. Without money, they cannot buy the toy they wanted this week. Be sure to tell them, that if they misbehave again, that next week will be the same thing.
6. Sit down and talk to them. Many times, a child is misbehaving for attention. If you were to sit down and talk to them about what is going on, you will soon find the answer. Sounds easy, however sometimes easy is the best answer to the situation at hand.
7. Let them choose their punishment. Give them three different ideas for punishment. Allow them to choose which one they want to do. You can suggest early bedtime, more chores, or no allowance. Either way, they will see that there are consequences to their actions.
8. Have them write a paper. If your child is old enough to write. Have them sit down and write a 500 word essay on any subject of you, the parents choice. Having them write this paper, will allow them to reflect on how they have acted, as well as think about doing it again.
9. No speaking or socializing with their friends for the day. Kids love talking, texting, or even seeing their friends. When you take this privilege away, they learn a lesson that teaches them to behave when they should have.
10. Take away their favorite toy. Whether it be a baby doll, skateboard, bicycle, or something you know they will miss for the day. Remove it from their possession. You are not going to teach them anything, unless they realize they have done something wrong.
Instead of spanking, use these 10 tips on how to discipline your child without raising your hand instead. There is no need for anything physical when punishing a child. The child will not learn anything from hostility. Stay calm, talk it out with your child, stay firm, and always be consistent. The more consistent you are, the more your child will realize that he/she cannot get away with misbehaving.