Lemons are a wonderful fruit. Not only does lemon tarts taste delicious and lemonade is the best cold, refreshing drink on a hot summer day, but lemons also have disinfectant powers. Lemons can be used in many ways around the house. But the best way to use lemons is for their cleaning power. So here are ten ways to use lemons as a non toxic cleaner around your house.
1. Stain Removal – Lemons are a powerful bleaching agent, and can be used to get stains out of white clothing just by squeezing a little of the juice on it. If the stain is particulary hard to get out, mix some lemon juice with some cream of tarter and apply. Let the lemon juice sink in and then wash.
2. Garbage Disposal– Throw some lemon rinds in your garbage disposal to get that musty odor out.
3. Countertops– In order to get some stains on countertops out, let lemon juice sit on the stain and then scrub.
4. Dishwasher– If your dishwasher needs to be freshened, put some lemon juice in the soap compartment and run the dishwasher.
5. Freshen the Refrigerator– If your refrigerator is suffering from some unpleasant odors, then use a lemon. Just store at least half of a lemon inside it for a fresh smell.
6. Oven Cleaner– Anyone who has ever used a chemical oven cleaner knows that the smell is horrible and that they are highly toxic. So, instead of using all of those chemicals, heat lemon slices in a bowl of water for 30 seconds in the oven to loosen stains and to give the oven a fresh smell. It will make your oven stains easier to get out and make the oven smell better as well.
7. Toilet Cleaner– If your toilet could use some cleaning and you don’t feel like running out to the grocery store, then look no further then your refrigerator and grab some lemons. Mix a cup of lemon juice with a ½ cup borax for a wonderful toilet cleaner.
8. Wooden Floors and Furniture– To make your wood shine, mix ½ cup of olive oil with ½ cup of lemon juice and wipe on the wooden surfaces with a rag. Your floors never looked so good as they will when you use lemon.
9. Copper– To clean anything that is made out of copper, dip some lemon slices in salt and use as a scrubbing pad on those spots on your copper.
10. Chopping Boards– To disinfect your chopping boards, soak in lemon juice for a couple of hours and rinse. They will be free of bacteria and smell fresh.
Rachelle Strauss, “How To Use Lemons for Cleaning” How To Do Things
Green Living Tips, “24 handy lemon tips” Green Living Tips
Clutter Control & Cleaning, “Cleaning With Lemons” Quick and Simple