With cooler weather, beautiful red and orange leaves, tasty in season crops such as pumpkins and apples and the holidays Halloween and Thanksgiving, fall has a lot to offer. So gather the kids and use this list for fall fun ideas.
1. Pick some apples. Grab a basket and head to an orchard near you. Provided you don’t go overboard, this is a budget friendly activity, since apples are cheaper at the orchard than at the grocery store.
2. Visit a pumpkin patch and pick a prize pumpkin.
3. Make a seasonal pie. Turn your pumpkins or apples into a sweet fall time treat. Depending on their ages kids can help chop or can help by covering the apples in sugar and spices.
4. Carve a jack-o-lantern. Draw a spooky or a fun design and bring it to life with a carving knife and candle.
5. Visit a corn maze and have fun getting lost in the stalks.
6. Check out a kid friendly haunted house.
7. Head on a hike to see fall leaves.
8. Collect leaves and use a crayon to make leaf rubbings on paper.
9. Take a trip to your local state fair. This fun fall activity includes something for the whole family: rides, food, animals and shows.
10. Make fall-themed cupcakes. Use your imagination to create leaves, spiders, monsters, turkeys and more out of icing and candies.
11. Take turns telling scary stories. (This isn’t a good idea for easily scared children).
12. Search your closets for Halloween costume ideas.
13. Decorate the house for Halloween. Use store bought or homemade decorations.
11. Take the whole family on a hayride.
13. Let the kids loose with markers and paper to design thanksgiving place cards for all the family members and friends who will be at your table this year.
14. Participate in a Thanksgiving Day 5K race or fun run. Many towns offer these races on Thanksgiving morning.
15. Print out fall-themed pictures for your kids to color.
16. Make a scarecrow by stuffing old clothes with newspaper or tissue paper.
17. Read a book aloud about Thanksgiving or Halloween
18. Buy some apple cider and heat it on the stove for a delicious treat on a crisp fall day. Or find a recipe and make your own.
19. Enjoy a local fall carnival.
20. Hit the neighborhood on Halloween night and go trick or treating.