When the fall season hits and the weather cools down, there are many activities your children may like to participate in. School has started and there isn’t as much time for extra activities as there was in the summer months. Children need to be able to entertain themselves and possibly their friends in the after school hours.
1. After school activities are offered at the school your child goes to. Your child can join one of the many clubs the school has to offer. If your son or daughter likes to act, check to see if the school has a drama club. If your child likes to play chess, there may be a chess club as well. If your son or daughter is into sports then the school may have a team your child may like to join. Whatever your child’s interests may be, the school he or she attends may have a program that will hold their interest. With the exception of sports, most after school programs continue throughout the whole school year.
2. The library may also offer different reading programs and groups for children who like to read. Check with you local library to see what they have to offer.
3. Hiking with friends is a wonderful idea. The weather has cooled down and being outside is more pleasurable. Have the kids pack lunches and bring water to drink. They can hike in the woods or on a local hiking trail. They can picnic under a tree for shade or in a field, where they can also play. If the children are young it would be a fun activity for a parent to supervise.
4. Colorful leaves that have fallen from their trees are always fun to play with during the autumn months. They can make leaf rubbings buy putting a leaf under a piece of paper and then running a crayon over it. They can also make a leaf collage by putting leaves between two sheets of wax paper and ironing it. This can also be done by using contact paper which is safer because the child won’t get a burn. Playing in the raked leaves is always fun even if it doesn’t always make the parent’s happy.
5. Help you children plan a field day event with their friends. They can play baseball, soccer, or other sports. They can have egg and three legged races. Your child can help you make prizes ribbons or certificates to give the event winners. Invite other parents as well and have a pot luck lunch. Each parent can bring a dish.
The fall season is a great time to start after school programs and also have fun. There are many ways your children can stay entertained and socialize with other children at the same time. Ask your children what they would like to do with the fall leaves. They may have other ideas that will keep them busy for the season.