Thanksgiving, a time where friends and family gather at the dinner table to give thanks to whatever it is they have accomplished through out the year. Many times the only people who are present at the dinner table are your in-laws. Instead of just sitting down to a turkey dinner, why not try these five ideas for celebrating Thanksgiving with your in-laws.
1. Have everyone bring a photo album. Thanksgiving is about families getting together to eat. Instead of just focusing on the food, why not have each of your in-laws bring a photo album to share with the rest of the family. Before sitting down at the table, gather around in the living room and share the memories of the photos with everyone in the room.
2. Have a Thanksgiving picnic. Instead of your traditional sit down dinner. Prepare the food like you usually would. Instead, once your in-laws arrive, gather them all up and head down to a nice area where you can celebrate Thanksgiving picnic style. This will allow everyone to enjoy the outside, if there are children, the kids will be able to run around while the adults enjoy talking to one another.
3. Have fun by re-enacting the first Thanksgiving dinner. A few weeks before Thanksgiving, let your in-laws know that this Thanksgiving they will be helping to re-enact the first Thanksgiving. Give them ideas on what to wear, and if they need to bring anything specific. During the re-enactment, have someone taking photos for a photo album to remember the great memories you all have made.
4. Take your in-laws to a fancy buffet on Thanksgiving. Preparing Thanksgiving can be very tedious and stressful. Especially if you are the only person cooking. Instead of celebrating at home with your in-laws, call around to all the nearest hotels in the area to see what they are offering. Many large hotels offer an amazing Thanksgiving buffet to all those who want to join them. Might be a little on the pricey side, it is however worth the money.
5. Invite the in-laws to help make handmade crafts on Thanksgiving. No matter who you are, everyone loves to make crafts. Have an array of different crafts that everyone can pick and make. Once they have finished making the crafts, have your in-laws show off their masterpiece to everyone attending Thanksgiving dinner.
Thanksgiving does not have to be the same old thing every year that passes. When having the in-laws over for Thanksgiving, make it a holiday that they will remember, instead of one they want to forget. These five ideas for celebrating Thanksgiving with your in-laws is a great way to start.