There are tons of sites out there that claim to have the secrets to successful freelance writing. I for one being a freelance writer myself feel like the most helpful information comes from my fellow freelancers. There are several things that one can do wrong when they first start freelance writing, but there are also many things they can do right. Here are a few tips that I have learned that are helping me each and every day to become a better free lance writer.
1. Don’t get discouraged when your article isn’t accepted. I know that it is tough to break into any job market and freelance writing is one of the hardest. I’m not claiming to be incredibly successful but I am happy with my abilities and one of them is to keep trying even when an article that I thought was great gets rejected. Many times sites will tell you what they want to see fixed and by simply fixing it you can many times get it published.
2. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Like everything that you do, it is important not to hinge all your hopes, dreams, and abilities on one website or opportunity. This sort of goes along with the first tip. If you are a member of multiple sites with different platforms you are almost guaranteed to get something published. If your article gets rejected on one platform and you don’t want to fix it have a stand by that you can submit it to.
3. Keep track of everything that you write. One of the biggest mistakes that you can make is to lose track of where something is published. Each site has its own licensing and policies and you should keep a close eye on each article and its location so as not to violate any terms or agreements.
4. Make sure you keep track of your hourly wage. By keeping track of how long it takes you to write an article, how much you get paid for it, and how often it is viewed, you can create a spreadsheet for yourself that allows you to easily see if your hard work is paying off or not. Blindly publishing and expecting websites to keep track of finances for you takes away some level of control that you have over your time and content.
5. Lastly look around the internet for forums or websites that are started by other freelance writers. Often times there are reviews and blogs that talk about websites and experiences and more often than not, these websites offer ideas for your own freelance career.
Most of the time there is no set number of things that someone can do to be successful at freelance writing. It is generally up to the person that wants to make it a career to really make sure that they are successful at it. The main thing to remember when trying to become a successful freelance writer is not to get overly discouraged. You may not succeed right out of the gate but chances are you can get your ideas out into the public and get some helpful experience and advice in the process.