Located in the Southern Hemisphere, New Zealand is a destination with many vivid features. Comprised of 3 main islands and several smaller island, there is something for every adventurous traveler to explore. New Zealand is host to an incredible array of beautiful wildlife and some of those most awe inspiring scenery. The mix between the amazing blues and greens from the ocean to the nature filled land; it is bound to take your breath away.
1. Drive on the Left. New Zealanders drive on the left side of the road, or shall I say the left side to us Americans. This is quite a bit different and a little difficult to acclimate to. I would recommend that if you are planning to drive, take about an hour to practice in a parking lot so your mind can adjust to the change before you head out on the open road.
2. Dress in Layers. The weather can be quite unpredictable and dressing in layers can help combat the weather changes and help you enjoy your vacation. Bringing a water proof jacket is essential to this part of the world. A pair of thermals will be the perfect item and t-shirts should work just fine for most of the summer months.
3. Wear thick soled high boots. New Zealand has quite a bit of high grass and bush which can be home to many of natures critters. It is best to be prepared with boots and it also helps to tuck your pants into your socks to avoid any crawly friends wanting to hitch a ride with you.
4. Winter is summer and summer is winter. Beware of the opposite months of the seasons in New Zealand. Summer is from November to March and winter is July, August, and September. The sun is very strong in New Zealand in its summer months so be sure to wear sun block. You would not want to ruin your vacation by getting sun stroke. Be sure to drink plenty of water when on your trip.
5. Do not bring any agriculture in the country. New Zealand has pretty stringent rules regarding bringing any food or agriculture into the country. Bringing food or animals into the country can bring about severe penalties and should always be avoided. You will not be permitted to bring the food from the plane into the airport or through customs when you arrive. You should plan to discard of all food before you disembark the plane.
There are so many fantastic journey’s in New Zealand and these tips will make your travels much more enjoyable.