Cold weather can not only affect you personally but it can also adversely affect your electronics as well. Cold weather can ruin your electronics and tech gadgets if you do not take precautions in the freezing temperatures. Here are five tips to help you protect your tech products and gadgets from the cold this winter.
1. The first thing you want to do to protect your tech products and gadgets from the cold is to never leave them out in your car. Electronic devices should never be left in a car or in the trunk of the car for an extended period of time. Any type of hard drive-based product could be ruined from the freezing temperatures and all of your data could be compromised or lost. If you know you are going to be in a store for a long time or if you are in your house for the night, bring all of your electronic devices inside. This includes products such as laptops, DVD or CD players, digital cameras and even game systems.
2. If you know that your tech products or gadgets have been exposed to cold temperatures, do not turn the device on as soon as you reach warmer temperatures. You should give your tech gadgets a few hours to thaw after being exposed to the cold weather. Products such as a laptop computer often have a liquid display that could be damaged permanently if turned on shortly after being in the freezing temperatures. Always let your tech gadgets warm to the room temperature before you decide to turn them on to allow them time to thaw and acclimate to the warmer weather.
3. To protect your tech gadgets you should also run them all on a surge protector or have battery backup. During the winter, there is also an increased risk for power spikes from everyone running heaters and other powered devices. If the power goes out in your area and your tech gadgets are not on a surge protector it could ruin the hard drive and potentially erase all of your stored data. You should run your tech gadgets on a surge protector no matter what time of year it is because it will decrease the chances of long-term damage if a power outage occurs.
4. Protecting your tech gadgets from the cold also means you should not have them directly in the snow or freezing temperatures. If you go outside during the winter you should keep your tech gadgets stored either on your person or in a protective bag. Never run outside in the cold with your laptop exposed to the elements because this temperature change could ruin your laptop or cause a hard drive malfunction. When you are outside with a tech gadget you should take precautions to keep the product away from snow or ice because water will permanently damage most tech devices. Keeping small gadgets like a cell phone or camera in your pocket or jacket will also reduce the chances of it becoming exposed to the elements in winter and will protect it from shock due to the weather change.
5. You should also keep products like your laptop running at all times to protect it from the cold weather. During the winter you should change power settings on your tech gadgets so that the product will continue running even while not in use. You could change the settings on your laptop so that the hard drive will continue to spin instead of shutting down, which will help keep your laptop warm during the winter. If you leave your tech gadgets running in the winter then you are helping protect it from the cold by allowing it to generate heat by itself. This is a great way to keep your tech products from freezing in the cold weather because it will constantly be on and running instead of sitting in a cold room allowing the freezing temperatures to affect the components. If you follow these tips then you will help keep your tech gadgets protected during the cold winter weather.