Celebrate National Courtesy Month (September) by putting the needs of others before your own. You can do this easily by incorporating a few acts of kindness into your daily routine. Here’s how. Just:
1. Be quiet in the morning. Allow your spouse and children to get a few extra z’s without being awaken by the clanging of pots or pans or heavy footsteps. You’ll see that they’ll get out of bed with more joy.
2. Avoid cutting off other drivers on the freeway. Speeding and quickly passing in front of others without concern for their welfare won’t cut down your travel time by much anyway. You’ll still get work 5 to 10 minutes early (or late).
3. Make coffee at work. Don’t suck down the last cup and walk away as if you didn’t know the pot was empty. Celebrate National Courtesy Month by mixing up a new brew so the next person doesn’t have to face the disappointment of having nothing to wake them up right away.
4. Wait an extra minute for a bathroom stall. Give the guy at work wearing a cast a chance to go first. Then, follow suit. Even if he doesn’t say thank you, he’ll be grateful inside.
5. Volunteer to work late. Support your company’s goals and surprise the person who usually stays behind with an early out. He (or she) probably really needs a break.
6. Toot someone else’s horn during a project. Acknowledge the skills and efforts your co-worker brought to the table and how he made the project a success. Allow him to have the spotlight.
7. Happily eat your dinner. Celebrate National Courtesy Month by not criticizing the food. Show your appreciation to the cook with your silence or praise over what was done well.
8. Negotiate on after-hours fun. Be amicable as you discuss where to go and what you want to do. If you’ve gotten your way the last few times, take one for the team and let your significant other or children pick.
9. Share more of your bed space. Scoot over and make room for the person sleeping next to you. Appreciate the fact that you actually have someone.
10. Lower the sound of your alarm. In anticipation of the next day, turn down your clock radio alarm. This way, you won’t startle any of your other housemates.
See how easily you can celebrate National Courtesy Month. Do a few of these things this month (September) and make the people in your life smile and have a better day.