Distance education is being heavily marketed to parents and individuals who work full time and do not have the time to attend classes in school. The distance education program is a great program for those who fare best independently and outside of the traditional school setting. There are some great aspects of distance learning. If you are interested in distance learning but are not sure if the program is for you take a look below at some of the great aspects of the program.
1. Distance education presents a challenging environment. This is not the traditional school environment. Students will take a percentage of their studies online meaning that they will receive their weekly lectures, homework and quizzes online. This can be challenging because students will not have a live teacher before them to guide them nor will they have the benefit of attending classroom discussions. They will have to read the lectures themselves and make the most of it. It can be challenging for some individuals to have to pace themselves accordingly.
2. Your classroom blunders are concealed. If you have ever participated in a class discussions then you may have answered a question wrong or have received an unwanted response from your peers. This incident might have stuck with you and caused you to be less active in class. This happens to a great many of us but fortunately with distance education the mistakes students make are not as magnified. Many students feel more comfortable partaking in discussions and making mistakes over the internet as opposed to partaking in them in person. Students never actually get to meet one another and so they may feel more comfortable anonymously making mistakes in their assignments.
3. Distance education allows you to have a flexible schedule. Assignments will have to be submitted by a certain date but students will usually be given a decent amount of time to pass these assignments in. This will allow students time to focus on other engagements while completing their courses.
4. You can work at a pace that may be more comfortable for you. If you are not that great in a certain subject then it might be difficult for you to take that subject in school because the teacher might go at a pace that is too fast for you. With distance learning you will have the ability to go a tad bit slower and to reread the assignment over until you understand it. You do not have to face the anxiety that comes with not answering a question right in class or being picked on to solve a problem in class.
5. You do not have to worry about being sociable. If you are a person who is more timid or aloof then going to school might be difficult for you because you will have to interact with others closely. Some distance learning professors will assign you groups to work in. Students will converse through the team discussion boards or through their school email. Students who are timid in person may feel more outgoing over the internet. Distance learning is a great alternative for those who suffer from social anxiety.
6. You do not have to worry about bringing in lunch or buying lunch everyday. When you go into school for classes you need to be sure that your stomach is full and that your body is fueled with the proper energy. A hungry stomach will make very embarrassing noises in class and a body lacking energy will not be able to focus well in class. Bringing lunch to school or purchasing it everyday can be very pricey. If you attend school online you do not have to worry about this. You can eat a bit of whatever you have in your home. If for some reason your refrigerator is bare and you do not have enough food to feed yourself you do not have to worry about your stomach loudly growling in class.
7. You do not have to worry much about your public appearance. In some colleges students dress to impress and naturally any student would want to look decent. Not everyone has the best wardrobe for school. When you attend school online you do not have to worry about looking your best in front of others nor do you have to worry about being looked down on because of your appearance.
8. You can go to school wherever you have access to the internet. Since distance learning takes place over the internet you can take your studies with you. You can study at home, while you are on break at work, on a train ride, vacation, or your commute to work. You can take your courses wherever you have internet access.