Most people who’ve been around long enough, though often wounded, will survive the battle of the sexes. However, no matter what your age, determining if you’re currently in a healthy relationship may require some heavy thought, along with acquiring a good helping of common sense. Some things to consider include:
1. Don’t fantasize about it as the everlasting love of your life, and you’ll stick to it no matter what seems wrong. Look at it with eyes wide open, and if anything seems amiss with that special person, open your eyes even wider to sensible reality.
2. As your relationship evolves, do you gradually wake up and admit to yourself that the other person may not possess acceptable personal habits? Such habits as poor physical hygiene, excessive smoking, including marijuana or other illegal drugs, should make you reconsider staying in a relationship.
3. Are there any disturbing moments when you’re with this person, where you fear for your personal safety? Is there anything you say or do that sets off sudden anger against you, with potential for or actual violence? Even one such incident should send you away for good. Your good.
4. Is that person a control freak who demands to know about everything you do and every person you see? When you don’t give satisfying explanations, are you accused of cheating or hiding things?
5. Before the relationship gets you too involved, do some research. Ask your friends who know this person if they can advise you about past behavior. Look into past employment and education history. Is there a police file?
6. Borrowing money from you without ever paying it back should give you a sure sign you’re involved with a selfish someone. Stealing your money is even more of a danger sign. Get away because your money is much more important than you.
7. You’re told cheating is OK for that special someone, but you’d better not be caught even looking at another person.
8. Most important, read and heed the obvious signs and break up as quickly as possible. The worst thing you can do is to forgive and become a self-sacrificing hopeful. If you believe your special person will then give up all the bad actions because of the strength of your ever-loyal love, you’re in a genuinely unhealthy relationship.