In the wonderful sport of cheerleading the Diamond Head is an impressive pyramid. The pyramid consists of a base with a person in a shoulder stand, then 2 flyers being at the side. This type of pyramid/stunt takes a lot of strength, timing, and balance amongst all 4 different individuals. With that, there are many things that can wrong when trying to put it up. Here are some tips to help make your Diamond Head hit:
1. Timing – Watch everyone’s timing. If anyone is off then it will cause the stunt to shift or fall, and it will take a lot of energy to get everyone back in line. Everyone needs to lift at the same time to keep this from happening.
2. Roll your shoulders before standing up (topper) – The topper needs to roll their shoulders before they stand up. Your legs are stronger than your shoulders, so use them more near the beginning of the stunt when you have momentum, then shift more towards your legs at the end when the stunt slows down and your are holding more weight in your arms.
3. Lean back (topper) – Never stand straight up. Instead you need to lean back to counter the weight from the flyers that will pull your forward. If you don’t, then the topper will fall forward off the shoulder stand.
4. Squeeze heels (topper) – The topper needs to squeeze their heels together when standing on the base. This will make it easier for them to maintain their footing on top, and keep them from digging their feet into the shoulders of the base.
5. Use tape (fliers)- If the flyer’s wrist are not very strong then you might want to consider using tape. Taping their wrists will make it easier for the flyers and the topper to maintain their grip for an extended period of time.
6. Big jump off the ground (fliers) – Make sure the flyers are taking a big jump off of the ground so that the topper does not have to lift as much.
7. Place flyers slightly in front (Main base) – Make sure the fliers are placed slightly in front of the main base and not out to the sides. The main base will have more control of the stunt.
8. Squeeze sides (Main base) – Have the Main base get a good squeeze on the flyers’ sides so that he has more control over the stunt. It will also insure that you don’t lose flyers as the stunt goes up. NOTE: don’t squeeze too much as it may hurt the flyers.
9. Spotter (just in case) – You can place a spotter behind the Diamond Head for safety and/or to help the Diamond head hit. Just place them either behind the flyers or on the ankles of the topper.