The perfect Halloween costume can be vexing. So many factors come in to play before you ever choose a costume: budget, your level of creativity, the amount of time you have before you need the costume, personal preferences. And with thousands of websites to choose from, finding just the right Halloween costume or idea for one can be like searching for a needle in a haystack. So I’ve compiled a resource guide of websites to help you narrow your search.
Halloween Costumes Hiding in Your Closet
On a tight budget or simply don’t want to spend a fortune on an outfit you’ll probably only wear once? Look no further than your own closets. These websites give ideas for throwing something together without spending anything. These can be a lifesaver when you’re invited to a costume party at the last minute.
• Do It Yourself – Using clothing, fabric and odds and ends from around your home, you can transform yourself into the bride of Frankenstein or a ghoulish prom queen, Pebbles form the Flintstones, a mummy or even Mother Nature.
• The Daily Green – This website wins my vote for originality. Ever considered being an Etch-A-Sketch? How about Marie Antoinette complete with your head detached? Most of these look pretty easy to throw together.
Halloween Costumes You Can Make
• Costume Idea Zone -Offers ideas for couples, groups, kids and some unique costumes like Cat with a Cat Litter Pan – not for the faint of heart.
• Homemade Halloween Costume Ideas – You can create just about any animal if you have tights, leotards or sweats in solid colors. Also offered are ideas for costumes made form boxes and ideas for costumes involving being seated.
Halloween Costumes Shipped to Your Door
These websites offer premade, ready-to-go costumes and accessories. All you have to do is pick and click.
• Halloween Costumes Online – Everything from traditional costumes, costumes from specific decades, cartoon characters, adults and kids. They also offer plus sizes, sexy costumes and a wide array of accessories for a reasonable price.
• Costumes4Less – Along with the classic costumes Costumes4Less has a huge selection of television and movies characters. As a bonus, they offer costume lingerie and just about any type of footwear imaginable. They also offer a flat rate shipping fee with no minimum order amount.
• Costume Store – Here you can find costume based on occupations, fairy tales, villains, pirates and historical figures. Throw in some sexy costumes, a few scary ones, plus sizes and accessories galore and you’re all set.
Halloween Costume History
If you’ve always wondered why we wear costumes on Halloween and where the custom came from, these websites offer plausible explanations based on historical information.
• True Ghost Tales – History of Halloween Costumes
• History of Halloween – Background involving Halloween and the historical practice of dressing up for ceremonies and rituals which later became part of the Halloween tradition.
Related Halloween Articles:
Halloween Part Punch Options
Halloween Party Foods with a Ghostly Flair
Halloween Party Foods with a Mummy’s Touch
Top Ten Halloween Movies
Cheap Homemade Halloween Window Decorations