If you don’t want to contribute to the nation’s childhood obesity epidemic by passing out candy this Halloween, you are not alone. Many Americans are responding to the public health crisis of childhood obesity by choosing non-candy treats to hand out on October 31st this year.
If you would like to forgo candy without disappointing the neighborhood kids, read my ideas for fun, non-candy treats. You can still be one of the favorite Halloween stops on your block even if you don’t pass out candy. Check out these awesome alternatives to Halloween candy. To find these fun treats, check Oriental Trading, dollar stores, Wal-Mart, and/or party supply stores.
1. Silly bands
3. Erasers – They come in all kinds of fun shapes and sizes these days.
4. Pencil toppers
6. Friendship bracelets
7. Glow sticks
8. Glow bracelets
9. Temporary tattoos
10. Mini play dough containers
11. Plastic teeth/fangs
12. Coins, depending on how many kiddos come to your door on Halloween and how much extra change you have lying around the house.
13. Mood rings
14. Cheese and cracker packs
15. Bouncy Balls
16. Noise makers
17. Plastic Spiders – You can get 144 for around $5 from Oriental Trading.
18. Spider Rings
19. Fruit Snacks or Fruit Strips/leather
20. Hot chocolate packets – I think the ones with marshmallows included are the best.
21. Sticky Hands – Kids just love these! Oriental Trading has a pack of 72 Glitter Sticky Hands for just seven bucks
22. Fortune Fish – These little plastic fish turn into fortune tellers when placed in the palm of a hand. Get 144 of them for about $8 at Oriental Trading.
23. Halloween Finger Puppets – Currently, you can get 144 for just about $8 at Oriental Trading.
24. Pirate Coins – These are awesome! Only $6 will get you 144 from Oriental Trading.
26. Mini juice boxes
This list is definitely not exhaustive. Use your imagination and see what great non-candy items you can come up with. Happy Halloween!