Babies are very precious and must be taken care of at all times. This can include checking for the usual problems, such as a wetting, hunger, needing to be held or soothed, a fever, and so on. But whether a baby is crying too much or is calm as can be, there are still various baby safety signs to look for and always be aware of. This way, you can always make sure there is nothing wrong that will need medical attention. If it turns out there is something wrong, then you will be able to get the baby the help he or she will need.
Be sure to be very careful and gentle when checking the baby, as they are very fragile. If you find that any of these signs are visible on the baby, then you should call the baby’s doctor and see what should be done.
Here are the baby safety signs to look for when taking care of a baby. You should always be alert of these signs and symptoms.
1. Gently press on the baby’s abdomen. If the baby twists or resist you, then it could be colic.
2. Very gently pull the baby’s ear. If they cry worse or pushes your hands away, then it could be an ear infection.
3. Use the back of your hand to feel the baby’s forehead. If it is warm, then it could be a fever (and if they have an infection, such as an ear infection, then it could be from that).
4. Examine the baby’s skin carefully from head to toe. Check to be sure there are no rashes, measles, allergies, vesicles, or eruptive disease.
5. Check the baby’s nose to see if there is any discharge. If there is, then it could be coryza.
6. Gently and carefully move the baby’s head to feel for any neck stiffness. If there is, then it could be a head injury or meningitis.
7. Place your ear near the baby’s chest and listen for a rattling sound. If you do hear a rattling sound, then it could be increased mucus on the wind pipes. This may cause bronchiolitis, asthmatic bronchitis, pneumonia, and so on.
8. Check the baby’s anal orifice for an anal erosion, rectal polyp, or crawling of worms.
9. Check the baby’s genitalia for any erosion or discharge.
10. If the baby is male, then check the testicles to see if they are swollen or tender. If so, then it could be orchitis or torsion of testes.
Note: Before checking for the baby safety signs to look for tips eight through ten, and you are the babysitter or child care provider, then you should call the parents or guardians before checking the baby.
11. Examine and keep an eye on the baby’s body movements. Be sure to check for any coughs, convulsions, vomiting, rigors, labored breathing, and so on.
If you notice any of these signs or symptoms, or anything else does not seem normal or healthy, then do not panic. Instead, remain calm and take the proper precautions:
1. If you are the babysitter or child care provider, then you should call the baby’s parent or guardian.
2. Call the baby’s doctor.
3. If need be, take the baby to the emergency room. Especially if you think the baby needs immediate medical attention.
These baby safety signs to look for may seem like a lot, but it is always better to be safe than sorry. If it turns out is something is wrong, then you should definitely take the proper precautions to get them the help they may need.
Babies are fragile, precious, and irreplaceable, so you always want to be sure they are safe and healthy at all times.