Ahhhh. Warm blueberry muffins, straight from the oven, spread with butter. Is there anything better for breakfast? If you’ve never made a homemade muffin before, one taste and you will never buy packaged muffin mix again. Super simple to make, deliciously decadent. This muffin recipe will become a family favorite.
2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 tablespoons self-rising flour
2 cups fresh blueberries (fresh are best, but frozen can be substituted)
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons self-rising flour
5 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, diced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
2. Place blueberries in small bowl and sprinkle 1 1/2 tablespoons self-rising flour over them. ( This keeps the blueberries from turning the batter purple.)
3. Cream together the butter and sugars, until fluffy.
4. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest.
5. Add milk slowly, then add 2 cups of self-rising flour. Beat just until mixed, taking care not to overwork the batter.
6. Remove batter from mixture and fold in blueberries, taking care not to stir.
7. Fill muffin cups approximately half full.
8. Make streusel topping by combine 2 tablespoons flour, 7 tablespoons sugar ,and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in 2 tablespoons butter.
9. Sprinkle over batter in muffin cups.
10. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack.
Note: These muffins freeze really well and can be reheated in the microwave.
Sources: This recipe came from the authors own recipe files.