There are many kinds of courtroom drama movies and shows, but here is a mix of some of the best courtroom drama related best movies from the 1990’s on. For more general drama related best movies please visit “Part I.” Please visit “more great movies” for other best movies to watch lists.
1) A Few Good Men-courtroom drama (1992) starring Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore, Kevin Bacon and Kiefer Sutherland-Rated R. Winner of the People’s Choice Awards, the National Board of Review, and MTV Movie Awards. One of the best movies about honor, truth, and a navy lawyer defending two marines being charged with murder. This courtroom drama is known for Jack Nicholson’s famous line “You can’t handle the truth!”
2) North Country-courtroom drama (2005) starring Charlize Theron, Frances McDormand and Sean Bean-Rated R. Winner of the Las Vegas Film Critics Association – Best Supporting Actress. This courtroom drama is a story of a woman who files a class action sexual harassment law suit against an iron mine. This courtroom drama is based on a woman during the 1980’s, trying to work in a non-traditional job for women. This movie has intense sexual scenes and is not appropriate for children.
3) The Firm-courtroom drama-(1993) starring Tom Cruise, Jeanne Tripplehorn, and Gene Hackman-Rated R. Winner of the People’s Choice Award. In this courtroom drama a young Harvard graduate (Cruise) takes an offer and joins a law firm that later reveals its true self to the young lawyer. He quickly becomes entangled in a mess and has to figure a way out.
4) Philadelphia-courtroom drama (1993) starring Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington-Rated PG-13. Winner of two Oscars, two Golden Globes and one Grammy, to name a few. This courtroom drama centers around a young lawyer who files a wrongful dismissal suit against the law firm he works for when he is fired because he has HIV.
5) Erin Brockovich-courtroom drama (2000) starring Julia Roberts-Rated R. Winner of an Oscar, a BAFTA Film Award, a BMI Film Music Award, a Blockbuster Entertainment Award, a Bogey Award, a Critics Choice Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award, and a Golden Globe Award to name a few. In this courtroom drama, a single mother unable to find work or win her personal lawsuit against a doctor convinces her lawyer to hire her. Erin, the single mom, eventually winds up taking on a multi-billion dollar corporation in a class action lawsuit.
6) The Client-courtroom drama (1994) starring Susan Sarandon, Tommy Lee Jones, and Brad Renfro-Rated PG-13. Winner of Young Artist Award, BAFTA, and ASCAP Film & Televisions Music Award. In this courtroom drama, a boy witnesses the suicide of a mafia lawyer and then has to hire his own lawyer when others place him in danger because of the information the mafia lawyer shared with him before he died.
7) A Civil Action-courtroom drama (1998) starring John Travolta and Robert Duvall-Rated PG-13. Winner of Screen Actors Guild Award and Florida Film critics Circle Award to name a couple. This courtroom drama is based on a true story in which a lawyer goes broke representing families whose children died because of a leather production company dumping toxic waste into the water table for more than ten years.
8) High Crimes-courtroom drama (2002) starring Ashley Judd and Morgan Freeman-Rated PG-13. In this courtroom drama, a high profile lawyer finds out she is married to someone with a past. Her husband is accused of murder while he was in the Marines in Latin America. This is a courtroom drama that keeps you guessing while the conspiracy unfolds.
9) Fracture-courtroom drama (2007) starring Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling-Rated R. In this courtroom drama, an engineer is on trial for murdering his wife. He decides to defend himself against a hotshot lawyer in a mind bending courtroom battle.
10) American Violet-courtroom drama (2009) starring Nicole Beharie, Tim Blake Nelson, Will Patton, and Xzibit Rated PG 13. This courtroom drama is based on a true story about a single African American mother who is accused of dealing drugs. This single mother takes on the corrupt Texas justice system in order to clear her name and her record.
For more general drama related best movies please visit “Part I.”
For other articles by this author visit www.associatedcontent.com/user/743371/teresa_erwin.html
Authors’ Disclaimer: While every caution has been taken to provide my readers with the most accurate information, please use your discretion before making any decisions based on the information in this article.