The Mastiff is referred to as the Old English Mastiff or English Mastiff. Many people just refer to one as “Wow, what a dog!” That certainly is a short way of saying a lot regarding this stately, large, powerful yet gentle dog. The Mastiff is one of the largest breeds recognized by the American Kennel Club.
The English Mastiff originated in England and it not a new breed by any means. In 55 BC the Mastiff was right alongside soldiers in the war. The Mastiff was almost absent in England for years, but once again their numbers have increased by importing dogs from the USA and Canada. Mastiffs were used as watchdogs for over 2,000 years. Today the Mastiff is a great family dog.
Physical Characteristics and traits of the Mastiff
* The Mastiff is a large dog with a square head.
* The Mastiff can have either dark brown or hazel colored eyes.
* Mastiffs can be found in several colors including golden, light fawn, apricot or brindle. The muzzle, nose and ears must be dark, the darker the better. They are allowed a small patch of white on the chest.
* They are very large dogs and extremely powerful.
* They are quiet dogs and very seldom bark.
* They are quiet guard dogs. They can, and will, hold an intruder off if they sense danger.
* The Mastiff is great with children.
* They require minimal grooming.
Females, 30 inches high
Males, 27 inches high
Males, 160 pounds
Females, 150 pounds
* Mastiffs needs gentle yet firm training methods. They love to please their owners. They need to be socialized with other dogs early on.
The neatness factor
* The Mastiff drools, excessively, so be prepared.
* This dog is an average shedder.
* The Mastiff, as with many large breeds, is a candidate for hip dysplasia.
* The Mastiff is known to have stomach problems and bloating.
* Mastiffs aren’t much into exercise. They can be lazy. A Mastiff can live happily in an apartment, as long as the dog is taken on daily walks. The owner needs to take firm control of the Mastiff when they venture outside for a walk.
Now that you know a little more about this fantastic dog, is a Mastiff right for you and your family! How can you resist the face in the above photos?