When I worked for a home-health agency, several times each year, we had a company-wide luncheon we called a “pig-out”. Everyone had to bring some type of food, whether it was a favorite main course dish, side dish or dessert, or something bought, like chips and soda. It was a great way to sample a variety of foods and try new recipes. One of my favorites is a casserole made of broccoli, rice and cheese, served as a main dish or side dish. I obtained the recipe from my co-worker and decided to try it out on my family. They loved it – we did not even have leftovers! Children like it too. Here is the recipe:
1 can cream of chicken soup*
1 jar Cheez Whizz
½ pkg. shredded mild cheddar cheese
1 ¼-cup white rice, uncooked
1 pkg. frozen broccoli florets, thawed and drained
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pour one can of cream of chicken soup into medium-sized mixing bowl. Add one can water and stir until smooth.
- Scoop the Cheez Whizz into the soup. Stir until well blended. Add shredded cheddar cheese.
- Coat sides and bottom of 13″ x 9″ baking pan with vegetable spray.
- Pour soup/cheese mixture into baking pan.
- Add uncooked rice and stir. Add broccoli florets, spreading evenly in pan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
Cream of chicken soup can be replaced with cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup. You can add one cup of cooked, diced chicken breast before baking to make a complete one-dish meal. As a side dish, this goes well with chicken, beef or pork chops. Refrigerate any leftovers. This casserole can be reheated in the oven at 350 degrees for fifteen minutes or in the microwave for two minutes on medium setting.