You can consider many ways to carve your holiday pumpkin. How you’ll do it can be choices from the very basic to the most artistically detailed. If you’ll have a talented sculptor available, your pumpkin can become a classic, though very temporary, work of art.
The first task is to sharply cut the top off the pumpkin, clean out the insides and save it as a cap. Use the hole to thoroughly scrape out the pumpkin’s insides. It takes a sharp knife and strength to do the cleaning and carving tasks, so keep safety in mind for both the carver and any nearby children.
To enhance the fun and make treasured memories, shoot photos and/or video of the carving crew at work and close-ups of the final results. Some ideas for your pumpkin carving project could come from these suggestions.
1. The simplest and quickest way to make a holiday pumpkin carving is to cut out three triangles for eyes and nose, and a big O for the mouth. Make the carvings on the front so you can place a candle inside that will enhance the face image with its glow.
2. Familiar faces: Your pumpkin can represent current show business stars with just a few enhancements. For example, cut the usual simple eyes, nose and mouth and add on items that will allow viewers to recognize them. Then get creative.
For Lady Gaga, smear on heavy lipstick or red paint around the mouth, paste exaggerated lashes on the eyes and top the pumpkin with a large blond wig. Add a fancy, feathered hat and lots of junk jewelry and two big earrings. Your Justin Bieber pumpkin would wear a black wig that partly covers the eyes. Add super-large black glasses.
3. Familiar childhood figures: Your Santa Claus pumpkin will have a typical white beard and tasseled red hat. If you want a Shrek effect, paint your pumpkin’s face green, paste on his horn-shaped ears and be sure to get that great wide smile. If you’d rather do a creature from Avatar, it’ll take light blue paint and catlike face.
4. Historical figures: You’ll need reference photos to create Winston Churchill or Groucho. Make them instantly recognizable by placing big cigars in their mouths. Of course, there are Groucho glasses, nose and mustache items that would fit right on the front of your pumpkin.
5. Abstract face: Get your artistic juices flowing by carving a Picasso face on the pumpkin. Simply put both eyes on the same side, with mouth and nose going in any direction you choose. You can also paste on cut pieces of colorful paper to complete the abstract look. If you consider SpongeBob Squarepants in the same abstract theme as Picasso, try your cut and paste skills to make your pumpkin face into the currently popular, snaggle-toothed cartoon star.
If you’re feeling creative, there’s no limit to holiday pumpkin carving ideas. You can be totally original or find face patterns and designs to copy and print from the internet.