Are you ever curious about what goes on behind the scenes at cheerleading tryouts? Have you ever wondered if there were any secrets that you could learn to help you make them team? If you are curious, then here is a list of cheerleading tryout secrets for your enjoyment.
1. Secret #1: – A smile and good attitude goes a long way. Come into tryouts with a positive attitude, hit the crowd at every moment, smile during everything you do, and be heard during the cheers and chants. You can actually get more points by the judges if they like you. They will give 1 point here and there and it will add up.
2. Secret #2: -Coaches don’t necessarily go by the scores. Coaches already have an idea who they want just by watching. I have seen many times where coaches have taken many girls who did not originally make the team. Now it’s usually because they have potential, but there are times that cheerleading politics plays a bigger role.
3. Secret #3: -You appearance has an effect on your score. If you come in with poor posture, overweight, dirty, without school colors, then the judges already have a negative feel for you and your scores will reflect it.
4. Secret #4: -Tumbling sets cheerleaders apart. It’s the skill that takes a lot of practice and training, and in most cases not many have. So if you need to improve anything, try to take tumbling classes.
5. Secret #5: -A lot of people don’t make the team because of the easiest points. They miss motion placement, incorrect motions, toes pointed, sharpness, and smiling. All are the littlest things that will take away a lot of points from your final score.
6. Secret #6: -Talking to the coach beforehand does help. There is so much information that you can get if you talk with the coach beforehand. A thing like asking “what are you looking for?” is very important information.
7. Secret #7: -You will miss more points if you don’t try. If you don’t have tumbling then do a cartwheel, if you don’t have stunting then try a shoulder sit, if you have never done a particular jump then practice it.
8. Secret #8: -Sometimes it’s best to drop than hit. If you are trying a difficult stunt that above and beyond everyone else but it wobbles or even drops, that might not be a bad thing. It shows potential and could get you a higher score. Be sure to double check with the coach first.
9. Secret #9: -Just because you made the team score-wise does not actually mean that you made the team. That could be because there are certain positions that the coach is trying to fill, that they are trying to fill grade quotas, or the coach just wants someone else.
10. Secret #10: -Practice before hand goes a long way. Just practicing before tryouts, stretching, and taking cheer classes will make a big difference in your tryout.