If you want to deviate from the standard Thanksgiving dessert menu, this recipe provides a great starting point. While other variations may be floating around the internet, my loved ones consider this a family recipe as it has been passed through at least 3 generations, and I involve my young nephew at every opportunity to ensure that it makes it to a 4th generation. In our household, knowing that this dessert is a family tradition is one of the reasons it is the perfect complement to our Thanksgiving menu.
2 sticks of margarine, melted
2 cups of flour
2 tablespoons of sugar
8 oz of cream cheese (1 box), softened
8 oz of Cool Whip (1 small container)
16 oz of powdered sugar (1/2 bag)
1 can of cherry pie filling (peach and strawberry fillings also provide a tasty alternative)
• In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and melted margarine.
• Press the mixture into a 9×13 cake pan.
• Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees, then let cool.
• Blend the Cool Whip, powdered sugar and the softened cream cheese on low for one minute, or until all lumps are dissolved.
• Spread the mixture over the baked crust.
• Top with the cherry pie filling.
Cherry Delight is best served cold, so place the completed dessert in the refrigerator until it’s time to serve.
This dessert goes great after any meal and is ridiculously decadent. Enjoy!