I realize that canned green beans are not everyone’s favorite food, but this recipe is actually pretty good. What makes it so special is adding the chicken and the other tasty ingredients. I have adapted it over the years and have come up with some alternatives that make it extra special. This tasty dish was served at all of our family holidays.
3 cans cut green beans, drained
4 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite size pieces
2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
1 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons lemon juice
¾ teaspoon curry powder
1 can water chestnuts, sliced
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the chicken soup with the mayonnaise, lemon juice and curry powder.
3. Taking a 9 x 13 glass dish, arrange the beans in the bottom.
4. Distribute the chicken over the beans.
5. Take the chicken soup mixture and pour over the chicken and beans.
6. Place water chestnuts on top and sprinkle cheese over the top.
7. Place in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes until the top is brown and bubbly.
Perfect side dish at any meal!
Use fresh green beans in place of the canned variety. Substitute the mayonnaise with Miracle Whip or sour cream. Use Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Chicken and Mushroom, Cream of Chicken with Herbs or any of the other “cream” soups from Campbell’s depending on the type of flavor to highlight. Exchange the water chestnuts for garlic gloves. Try using bacon instead of chicken. Use your favorite cheese or combination of cheeses in lieu of sharp cheddar.
Source: The above recipe comes from this writer’s personal family recipe files.