Candy! Gotta love it! If you’re going to indulge, go ahead and choose what you love but make a good decision and choose healthy candy over candy that’s not as healthy. A recent Real Simple article listed the best candy to choose to get the most benefits while indulging.
Chocolate Candy Bar Challenges
Nearly everyone loves chocolate candy. Here are Real Simple‘s choices for healthy candy in side by side comparisons of chocolate:
– Butterfinger versus York Peppermint Patty: The winner is York Peppermint Patty. Evidently the difference in these two chocolate candies is significant. The peppermint patty has fewer calories, less fat and sodium than the Butterfinger candy bar.
– Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups versus Snickers: The winner of this chocolate candy challenge was Snickers. Snickers has fewer calories and less saturated fat than Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
– Mounds and Almond Joy: These two tied for first (or last) place, however you look at it. They had essentially the same calories, fat, and carbohydrates. The question here is “Do you feel like a nut?” Because sometimes you don’t.
– Twix versus Kit Kat:: The winner of this chocolate candy challenge was Kit Kat. Kit Kat has fewer calories and less fat and sodium than Twix.
The following candy challenges include some chocolate but mostly other candy, such as gum, hard candy, and chewy candy treats. And the winners are:
– Bubble Yum versus Tootsie Pop: The winner here is Bubble Yum gum. The gum wins for having fewer calories and sugar than the sucker.
– Smarties versus SweeTarts: The winner of this candy challenge is Smarties, which have fewer calories and sugar. And they make you smart, to boot! Well, probably not, but I love Smarties!
– Jolly Rancher versus Starburst: The winner is Jolly Rancher hard candies. Even though Starburst had fewer calories per piece, the hard candy won because of the reasoning that it takes longer to eat a Jolly Rancher so you’ll eat fewer of them. Yeah, and in my opinion, they’re just not as good at Starburst!
– Skittles or Peanut M&M’s: In this chocolate/nut versus sugary candy challenge, surprisingly, to me any way, the M&M’s won! Because of the peanuts in the Peanut M&M’s, the sugar is released slower into the body making them a better choice than the almost pure sugar Skittles.
Choosing Your Healthy Candy
The way I look at it, eat candy sparingly, and you’ll do fine. A little sweetness in life is necessary. And eat what you enjoy, just watch how much you eat so you feel good about it, both physically and mentally.
Can’t Get Enough Sweets?
Check out these articles:
Make Ice Cream Sandwiches at Home
Top Five Soft Drinks
How to Make S’mores in the Car