A sassy holiday ornament or two is a fun way to spice up your Christmas decor. These fun and inexpensive marabou monogram ornaments also make a great gift idea for family and friends!
For this project, you will need (per ornament):
– One four inch tall wooden letter cutout (available at craft supply stores)
– Medium or fine grit sandpaper sheets
– Tack cloth or other style soft cloth
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Gloss Black
– Krylon Spray Adhesive
– Leopard or zebra print scrapbook paper (available at craft supply stores)
– Craft knife
– Self healing mat
– Black marabou feather boa (available at costume shops, craft supply stores, and thrift stores)
– Hot glue gun and glue sticks
– Black satin ribbon
– Newsprint and/or a large drop cloth
Cover the area in which you will be crafting your marabou monogram ornament with layers of old newsprint and/or a pretty large sized drop cloth. Sand down the outside of the four inch tall wooden letter cutout with sheets of either medium or fine grit sandpaper. Wipe down the piece using a tack cloth or other similar style soft cloth.
Prime both sides of the wooden letter cutout using Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White. Once the primer has dried fully, paint the entire ornament using Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Gloss Black. Apply a few thick coats. Dry completely before proceeding onto the next step.
Lay the leopard print or zebra print scrapbook paper down flat on the self healing mat. With a pencil, trace around the outside of the painted wooden cutout onto the paper. Cut out the paper letter using a craft knife. Apply a thick layer of Krylon Spray Adhesive to the unprinted side of the paper. Adhere the piece to the painted letter, smoothing with your fingers to prevent wrinkling and/or bubbles.
Cut a piece of black marabou from an old boa using a pair of scissors. This piece should be long enough to border the outside of the animal print paper on the wooden ornament. Adhere the marabou to the ornament using a hot glue gun. Cut a length of black ribbon. Loop the ribbon and adhere it to the top of the ornament for hanging. Once the glue has cooled fully, arrange the ornament as desired.
TIP: For a fun variation, use hot pink marabou instead of black.