Here is my complete guide to the most popular apple varieties and the major health benefits associated with consuming apples.
Braeburn– this variety has a pale, cream colored flesh. It is medium to large sized with a pale green and red stripe color (sometimes orange). It is crisp and juicy with a tart finish.
Cameo– the cameo is medium to large size and has a creamy, white flesh. It has a distinct, tangy flavor.
Cortland– sweet with a very white flesh. Cortland apples are a deep red color and have a slightly tart taste. They are best in salads and doesn’t brown quickly.
Empire– Empire apples are dark red with a creamy-white flesh. They are perfect in desserts.
Fuji– Fuji apples are yellowish green with a white flesh. They are extremely sweet and crisp with a long shelf life.
Gala– Gala Apples are small, sweet and slightly tart. They are perfect for hand eating. They are medium sized with a yellow-white flesh.
GingerGold– cream flesh, mild flavor with a tart finish.
GoldenDelicious– yellow color, sweet and mellow taste. Light, flavorful flesh. Golden delicious apples are firm and crispy.
GrannySmith– Granny smith are green, very crispy and extremely tart.
Idared– Idareds have a misleading name. They are a pale greenish-yellow along with bright red skin. The flesh has a pink tint and a slightly sweet flavor.
Jonagold– Jonagolds are large and aromatic with a sweet-sour taste. They are firm, tart, and extremely juicy. The color of Jonagold apples depends on the climate they are grown in.
Jonathon– Jonathon apples are medium, juicy and crisp.
McIntosh– McIntosh apples have a white flesh and a dark red color. They are known for being firm, juicy and very aromatic. McIntosh apples have a sweet, tart and perfumy flavor.
Mutsu/Crispin– Crispin apples have a white flesh with a sweet and juicy flavor.
Red Delicious– Red delicious apples are crunchy and mildly sweet. They are the most popular apple bought in the United States.
Winesap– firm, crispy and sweet. Winesap apples are medium sized with a dark red color. The flesh has a yellowish tinge.
York– flesh has a coarse texture; crispy and juicy. It has a firm, cream colored center and is tartly sweet.
The health benefits of apples are identical across the varieties.
- Bone Protection– phloridzin, a flavanoid, helps protect post-menopausal women from osteoporosis. And the boron in apples strengthens bones.
- Asthma– studies have shown that children with asthma, who drank apple juice, suffered less from wheezing within one month.
- Alzheimer’s Prevention– quercetin in apples helps prevent free radical damage in brain cells which may lead to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Lower Cholesterol– pectin helps lower LDL cholesterol.
- Lung Cancer– quercetin and naringin in apples is believed to lower the risk of developing lung cancer by 50%.
- Breast, Colon, and Liver Cancer Prevention– numerous studies have shown the decrease in risk of breast cancer with apple consumption.
- Diabetes Management- the human body’s need for insulin can be lowered with galacturonic acid, which is found in pectin.