It was another busy Saturday in NCAA Top 25 football with plenty of hard hits and heart-stopping action for college football fans. In early action Ohio State bounced back to shut out Purdue 49-0 and unranked Syracuse upset Noel Devine and No. 20 West Virginia. And in perhaps the biggest shocker of the day 21 point underdog Iowa State took down No. 22 Texas 28-21 in Austin. No. 18 Missouri beat No. 3 Oklahoma 36-27 in yet another upset. Cam Newton ran for 217 yards as No. 5 Auburn edged No. 6 LSU 24-17 in the big SEC showdown.
NCAA Football Top 25
Saturday, Oct. 23
(20) W Virginia 14 – The Orangemen upset the Mountaineers.
(23) VA Tech 44 – The Hokies thrash the Blue Devils.
(11) Ohio St 49 – Ohio State bounces back to shut out the Boilermakers.
(8) Michigan St 35
Northwestern 27 – The Spartans rally to score 20 points in the fourth quarter to go to 8-0.
Iowa St 28
(22) Texas 21 – The Cyclones stun the turnover-prone Longhorns in Austin.
(21) Arkansas 38 – The Razorbacks come on strong in the second half to down Mississippi.
(10) Wisconsin 31
(13) Iowa 30 – The Badgers edge the Hawkeyes in a close game.
(14) Nebraska 51
(17) Okla St 41 – The Cornhuskers overcome the Cowboys with a big second half.
(6) LSU 17
(5) Auburn 24 – The Tigers beat the Tigers to move to 8-0 atop the SEC.
Wash St 28
(12) Stanford 38 – Stanford eased up in the second half to let the Cougars make it look close.
Colorado St 6
(9) Utah 59 – The Utes join the crowd at 7-0 with an easy win over the Rams.
(19) S Carolina 21
Vanderbilt 7 – The Gamecocks knock off the Commodores.
(7) Alabama 41
Tennessee 10 – The Crimson TIde dominate the second half to defeat the Volunteers.
(24) Miss St 29 – The Bulldogs hold on to beat the Blazers and move to 6-2.
(25) Miami (FL) 33 – The Hurricanes throttle the Tar Hells for the win at home.
Air Force 7
(4) TCU 38 – The Horned Frogs move to 7-0 and reinforce their claim for a BCS bowl game.
(3) Oklahoma 27
(18) Missouri 36 – The Tigers knock off the Sooners to move to the top of the Big 12 at 7-0.
(15) Arizona 44 – The Wildcats whipped Jake Locker and the Huskies.
Thursday, Oct. 21
1 Oregon 60 – The Ducks crush the hapless Bruins.
There were a number of upsets in week 8 of the NCAA football season, and the BCS picture just keeps getting more and more muddled as the 2010 college football season gets long in the tooth. Oregon will certainly stay on top with their demolition of UCLA on Thursday night, but everything remains very murky after that with at least half a dozen contenders for the big BCS bowl games.
The comeback game of the day has to go the Michiigan State Spartans, who were welcoming head coach Mark Dantonio back to the sidelines after dealing with some serious health issues. The Spartans rallied from 17 points down to win by eight, including a 20 point fourth quarter. QB Kirk Cousins threw for 329 yards and three touchdowns in the win.
For more on college football see:
Complete Top 25 College Football Scores – Week 7